kgg

Redesign / Refined Solution to 8 oz Bonded Nylon Thread Uncoiling Problem

As request by dikman the following are some photo's of my semi final more refined thread stand that has eliminated the problems I was having with the 8 oz spools of bonded nylon thread particularly the black. This thread stand allows for upwards of 5 - 1 lb or 8 oz spools to be configured in a small space replacing the standard 2 spool thread stand with a straighter thread flow to the thread pin on top of the sewing machine. The thread stand can be clamped to any location on the table. For this exercise my versions are clamped on the front while the standard thread stand is in the background in it's normal mounting position with 2 spools on its platform.

Photo 1. Shows a inexpensive method of allowing the spool to spin horizontally while reducing the overall surface contact of the interior of the spool shaft on the horizontal supporting rod. These two rub discs have a metal centre, are slightly bevelled on one end and grip fairly tightly the interior of the plastic shaft of either 8 oz or 1 lb spools.

Photo 2. Shows a inexpensive method of individually preventing the three 1lb thread spools from moving around on the main thread spool platform. They are copper pipe straps with a hole drilled in the centre which can be adjusted up or down to properly grab the interior of the plastic shaft of either 8 oz or 1 lb spools. The platform is 3m board with 3mm high density rubber glued to it.

Photo 3. Shows a 8 oz and a 1 lb spool placed on the horizontal supporting rod as well as the main horizontal thread take-off and thread guide eyes. 

Photo 4. Shows the first version of the thread stand just concentrating on solving the uncoiling problem that I was having with 8 0z bonded nylon.

Photo 5. Shows the newer version on the left and the first version on the right. The height over the top of the 1 lb spools to the horizontal main thread take-off is approximated 1.5 times the 1 lb spool height which can be increased to approximated 3 times or deceased as need.

As a side note I am thinking about getting a 5 or 6 string serger and think this thread stand arrangement or some other hair brain variant may work. I hate the thread arrangement and multi rods on sergers. Seems to me to be a waste of space and should be mounted on the right hand side of the serger with a more direct access to the tensioners.

Thoughts, comments or discussion are always welcomed and encouraged.

kgg

7.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Thanks Kgg, for this information. Interesting way to fight these twisting problems.

I think the resin used for bonding of the thread will relax (creep) in the weeks or more the thread is stored on their way from manufacturer. Perhaps most sewing thread is like that. As described in the "other thread" I noticed that to be true for the Serafil thread on my spools. However in the short time the thread is off the spool, it will fight any change in the twisting like a spring. This "fighting" is like how strong this internal "spring" is in the thread and I think this "spring" is stronger with the black nylon thread as also Wiz has commented on. When you avoid the thread comming off the end, no twisting is introduced by that from the spool. However, you may still have twisting comming from the machine.

The newer models of domestic sewing machines do also have the thread comming off the end of small spools. I have seen arguments, that the step pull to the "heavy" spool causing some peak tension, that you want to avoid. What do you think about that for your application?

Edited by Gymnast
error

Thanks Gymnast, originally it was to try and figure out how to solve a problem. Me being me was it something I was or wasn't doing, was it the machine, was it the needle, thread or the thread path. Then it just seemed to take on a life of it's own.

I think that a lot of the tension of thread on the spool has to do with mostly the manufacturing process everything from dying / drying to putting it actually on the spools which can varying slightly from one run to the next as well from one manufacturer to the next. Some can be overcome by changing the tension on the thread at the horizontal thread guide ( located between the vertical thread pin and the main tension disc ). Changing the number and direction the thread is threaded through the 4 holes in the horizontal thread guide and the 2 holes in the vertical guide pin. I will have to at some point fiddle with this just to see if there is any noticeable difference.

3 hours ago, Gymnast said:

The newer models of domestic sewing machines do also have the thread comming off the end of small spools.

I did a quick look at the newer Singer 44xx series and yes they do take the thread from the end of the horizontally mounted small spool. To me they are using the oversized end cap to secure the spool in place while guiding and lifting the thread slightly above the body of the spool as it comes off the spool. This series also has a vertical pin that can be used for mounting thread for the bobbin winder and suspect could also be used for the needle thread. I just don't know if with thread that is either bonded or non bonded below V69 on such small spools has much twisting or spring back to worry about and maybe of no concern for the domestic user.

kgg

Looks good. Your idea of the horizontal threaded rod with the discs sandwiched between nuts and washers is nice, simple but effective and easily adjustable for odd size spools. Much simpler to make than my effort requiring bearings and welding (I tend to over-think and over-engineer things a bit!).

Thanks dikman the discs were actually purchase at Homedepot. They are normally used for being screwed to the bottoms of chair legs but they were 1" (25mm) outside diameter which is the inside diameter of the plastic shafts of the 8 oz and 1 lb spools that I have. The spools do slide snugly over them and they grip / hold nicely but a real bearing with a rubber ring, which I couldn't find, would be much better. Maybe the next time I get a chance I will look in a hobby shop for a wheel and tire from a toy like a hot wheels might work better.

Got kids? Raid their Lego set.;) There should be all sorts of things in hardware stores that might work with a bit of tinkering, just got to think outside the box, so to speak. You should even be able to find bearings that will slip over the rod, if you want to get hi-tech.:lol:

As I said, the rod is a great idea as it gives you the flexibility to try different ideas.

Been quite awhile dikman since I had a young child running around, one was enough and no grand kids thanks be to gxx. Next time I am at the hardware store I will check to see what other alternatives are around.

kgg

In another forum, a guy using this black bonded nylon thread ended at a similar solution to have the thread roll off the spool and for more sewing machines.

But according to him, he got problems with hook catching the tread, if he let the thread come off the end of the spool. I have never heard thread twisting should be able to cause such problems. Another guy reported kinks on needle thread in the shuttle area. Up to now I mainly have read about problems with kinks in the thread pass before main tensioner.

What kind of problems have you seen, that should be due to thread twisting?

Edited by Gymnast