JC2019

List of tools that one could build? Especially with minimal effort / machinery?

I'm just getting started and I'm not much of a wood worker but I believe I will be building my own tools when I can and it makes sense:

- stitching pony (simple designs from youtube)

-  fixed wing dividers out of wood to mark stitch line (saw armitage use one)

- little wooden tool with cut out for each thickness of leather (I believe I saw Jason Hovatter use one in his shoe/boot course)

Need to research more:

- stamps / 3d stamps (I have done very little research but I'm wondering if I could have some acrylic laser cut and glued together to make mini stamps, similar to those sold by rocky mountain).

- maul / mallet

- strap cutter (though I ordered a cheap one on ebay)

- measuring tools like "center" ruler. 

If you have any ideas or suggestions for other things you could easily build on your own  please post them here. Also if you tried to build something and it was harder than expected that would also be insightful.

Edited by JC2019

Search the following strings in Google..there are loads ( like maybe hundreds ) of threads here already about making one's son tools from hand tools to mauls, ponys, tables, stamps..everything

site:leatherworker.net make hand tools mauls pony -saddle
site:leatherworker.net make hand tools mauls -saddle
site:leatherworker.net make hand tools mauls -saddle
site:leatherworker.net make hand tools -saddle

Going back and reading all ( yes all ) the old threads would be very helpful and insightful..
I read for 3 weeks before making my first post..most of what people ask about ( unless it relates to a specific sewing machine ..and even then ) has already been asked, and answered, in the past..There is gold in the old threads here..if you search for it..

Whatever you want to look for..smply put the following search string into Google , or Bing or DDG
site:leatherworker.net ********************************** -$$$$$$$$$$$$
But..put what you are interested in into the part where I put ***********..if more than one thing..use spaces between them, not commas..and where I put the -$$$$$$$
put whatever you don't want including..the - means "do not include"

the "operator" site: restricts your search to the named site
so site: leatherworker.net
restricts your search to leatherworker.net

Plus, reading old threads will give you a much better insight into what is possible, than hoping someone has the "magic inspirational bullet"..

Edited by mikesc

Don't forget a good straight edges. I have three that I use a lot, one is a salvage piece flat Aluminium about 64" long x 4" flat for clamping to the worktable for long cuts / markings, another is a 48" T-square (normally used for marking drywall) and the one I use a lot is a 36"x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" Aluminium angle iron for marking/cutting.

kgg

Make Your Own Maul:

This is what I did:

Go to Ebay and buy one of these:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replacement-78mm-Diameter-69mm-Length-Pallet-Truck-Nylon-Wheel-/254166070446?hash=item3b2d7a74ae

Take it along to your local hardware and look for a round piece of timber that fits it tightly.

Tip: I bought a shovel handle that is tapered at one end. It fitted nice and tight, then I just cut it to length.
You and make the handle fancy if you like but I left it as it was.

Instant Maul

completed-maul-1.jpg.cbd7a3cb9a99eb11c84dd593bf49a5cd.jpgcompleted-maul-2.jpg.323c9a39955c6393e4b45e28c04d311f.jpg

16 minutes ago, Chain said:

Make Your Own Maul:

This is what I did:

Go to Ebay and buy one of these:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replacement-78mm-Diameter-69mm-Length-Pallet-Truck-Nylon-Wheel-/254166070446?hash=item3b2d7a74ae

Take it along to your local hardware and look for a round piece of timber that fits it tightly.

Tip: I bought a shovel handle that is tapered at one end. It fitted nice and tight, then I just cut it to length.
You and make the handle fancy if you like but I left it as it was.

Instant Maul

completed-maul-1.jpg.cbd7a3cb9a99eb11c84dd593bf49a5cd.jpgcompleted-maul-2.jpg.323c9a39955c6393e4b45e28c04d311f.jpg

That's awesome. I was just thinking of skateboard wheels (the motorized ones) could make a good maul. Now I will have to research this. How heavy is yours? What kind of wheels are they?

78mm Diameter 69mm Length Pallet Truck Nylon Wheel

I don't have any scales to weight it but it feels comfortable to use

The weight of the Nylon head is 264 grams

Edited by Chain

A sewing pony is an obvious thing to make, but here are some other suggestions - 

A strop from oddments of wood & leather

A leather burnisher. You need a lathe to make the carrot type, but you can make the slipper type with hand tools

I have made skiving knives and a Japanese style leather knife from old 40mm hacksaw blades and plane blades, but you need a bench grinder to shape & sharpen the blades; or find someone who has one.

Search YouTube for 'How to make a wooden mallet' and 'How to make a plastic mallet'. There are several videos on each