I have a friend who gave me this well used and well made older wade saddle to repair.

A horse reared up in a trailer on him and the horn caught on one of the ribs of the trailer ceiling - Bust the horn off as you can see.

This saddle is old and well used - However goal here was to get it back to a functional rig that could still be ridden and used for light roping (ie: brandings).

Here is my solution to the repair - I would like the thoughts of others...What would you have done and do you think this repair will be solid?

horn_fix_04.thumb.jpg.e228c548738cd4e082f41f406516c83d.jpghorn_fix_05.jpg.538fe8a9e7b7e024df97fb1483badc0e.jpg

I'm sure it'll be fine for looks but I don't know that I'd rope off of it.

Fair enough!

Bad break and we didn't just want to garbage such a nice saddle.  Got the epoxy idea from structural engineers who use it to hold heavy loads in concrete.

https://www.westsystem.com/instruction-2/epoxy-basics/bonding-fasteners-hardware/

Here are some pics before I cover with leather again...

horn_fix_01.thumb.jpg.297873aef15afa16e7d8c9c3c7bf484b.jpghorn_fix_02.thumb.jpg.d447615f68bb3f1703e4f34a72776f0b.jpg

Just a thought from a non saddle maker..epoxy has very good "wont pull apart" strength..But no so good "shear strength"..one bolt wont counteract shearing..two other bolts ( can be smaller diametre than the main one ) placed forward and either side ( like at 10 to 2 position and epoxied along their length ) would give it that anti-shear strength..stop any possibility of "twist" or "pivoting" around the main bolt..Two quarter inch bolts epoxied into holes drilled in at an angle that follows ( approximately ) the front of the horn and down into the base should do the job..

mikesc - I think I will do that - Maybe tonight when I'm done work!  Thanks for the advice! 

R

Looks like a good idea. I would personally rope baby calves at most off it. (Tagging) anything bigger than 4 to 6 weeks old might give me some pause though. Should make a good colt saddle though.

Just my opinion