pgb123

Are industrial machine tables a universal fit?

Just acquired a Singer 236G120 head. I’d like to purchase or construct a table. Are the cutouts for these machines standard and, if not, where would I be able to obtain a template for this machine?

Many times hidden, but in the manuals I have seen these cutout measurements with a small scaled picture. 

This may be best asking one of the machine sales guys on the site banners. 

I know they typically have tops, and do the machine “ routing” of the proper spec. They likely have so many templates they have to hunt for the particular model. 

I found my self changing to new style tilt/mounts, so this is just another something to look and value the condition. 

Good day

Floyd

8 hours ago, pgb123 said:

Just acquired a Singer 236G120 head. I’d like to purchase or construct a table. Are the cutouts for these machines standard and, if not, where would I be able to obtain a template for this machine?

No, they are not standard. You'll need to measure the length and width of the bed of the machine and order a table with that size cutout and rubber shock mounts installed. You may have to drill a hole for the foot lifter chain, unless the machine has an internal push rod foot lift system. You'll also need to determine the length of the type 3L v-belt.

Personally, I would hire an industrial sewing machine dealer to build your table, complete a small pulley servo motor, foot or knee lever to lift the foot, oil pan, thread stand, bobbin winder and flexible work light, all wired and ready to rumble.

If you want to tilt the head to adjust or oil the bottom parts, you'll need 2 machine pivot blocks and mounting clamps installed that will mate to the holes in the back of the bed of the head, plus a tilt back stop peg that fits into a hole drilled into the table top. The exact position of the holes for the pivots is critical and machine specific.

Thanks for the reply.  With the correct dimensions.  None of that sounds too difficult.  Just hoping someone here had a template.

2 hours ago, pgb123 said:

Thanks for the reply.  With the correct dimensions.  None of that sounds too difficult.  Just hoping someone here had a template.

I'll ask a couple of dealer friends to see if they know if your Singer 236 post bed has the same bed size as my Singer 168 post bed. Then I can measure mine.

That’s very nice. Thanks so much. I can measure mine. Not sure why that didn’t occur to me. I’ll blame lack of sleep. 

Are you considering a formica type material top laminate. 

Just curious, in any case the wood recommendation is to be pretty thick for your best outcome.  As that big of a rectangle does put a sway in the tops. An other tip is some machines need the v-belt slot very close, and many remove the part between the two holes. 

I would keep that area between the machine and v-belt if by all means possible. For what its worth I think 3 sheets of 3/4” plywood or particle board is minimum. 

As your familiar with the router a slight! Gap between the machine and top edge is helpful, as when tilting the requirement width is a bit more. I would suggest a 1/16”- 3/32”. 

Hey thanks for sharing your project, and keep us posted. 

Floyd

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I was going to use a white Formica top on top of two 3/4” boards. I’ll post pics when I’m ready. 

Wizcrafts, what kind of oil pan do you have under your 168?  I imagine the setup is similar to the 236. 

Where are you located?

1 hour ago, pgb123 said:

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I was going to use a white Formica top on top of two 3/4” boards. I’ll post pics when I’m ready. 

Wizcrafts, what kind of oil pan do you have under your 168?  I imagine the setup is similar to the 236. 

It was assembled by Bob Kovar, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. He put a metal oil pan under the machine. My table is a shorty, only about 36 inches long.

Okay. My Singer 168 bed size is 7" x 20 3/8". My shorty table is 33 1/2" x 20". It has a floor pedal to lift the feet, connecting to the lift lever via a chain.

I have two  tables that 111w155 machines came from.  i am in  North Carolina.

12 hours ago, DSloop said:

I have two  tables that 111w155 machines came from.  i am in  North Carolina.

The 111 cutout is too short. You'll need to route out the left side to 20 3/8+ inches (trim to fit) and move the rubber shock mounts. Also, the pivots probable won't match the ones in the table. You may need to buy matching mounts to go from the table to the machine, based on the holes in the machine's bed.

I thought he might be able to use one if he was close by.