Joshstrange

overwhelmed with options

I am looking for my first machine I have it narrowed down to a cobra class 3/4 or cowboy 3200/4500.  I do allot of wallets, knife sheaths, slings, a few holsters, and belts.  My question is what is the standard foot setup that comes with the machine, is it the harness set up with a left middle and right foot and if so are the left and right feet removable so the machine an be used with either the left and middle or right and middle or is it designed to be used together with all the feet.  What throat plate will I need my holsters are sewn flat before the are molded and I don't do stirrups, just guessing that is what the stirrup plate is for.  I dont see any reason to pay for those plates because I don't do that kind of work, would I benefit from an inline presser foot.  I know the difference in the machines are the arm length and the cobra's and 4500 will do 7/8" thick.   I am just overwhelmed by the different options and if it would worth the cost of the premium packages of the cobras or will I just have a bunch of stuff that I payed for that I don't really need.  The cobra premium is at the top end of my budget while the cowboy 3200 with work table is where I would be more comfortable.  Thanks in advance.

The class 4 cobra and the cowboy 4500 both have options on packages!

In that they offer many or most all the feet options along with other handy items “if” you need them. These are not cheap but consider your work. 

I believe the standard on the class 4 is the center foot and a left presser foot, as your setting looking at the machine during sewing. As you probably been seeing premium packages with many other options. This I also believe is the same for the others like the 4500 in that hd grade machine, and which there is getting to be several, newer and older. In any case enjoy the hunt, and do look around there are plenty used in new shape in my opinion. Just takes a good eye and tough patience :yes: 

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

If your sheathes and holsters are to be sewn flat, just get the standard throat plate that ships with the machine. The holster plate is cutoff on the left edge of the needle slot, allowing you to sew next to shapes that extend below the base height. Actually, if you make pancake holsters that are only raised above the base level, they can be sewn using the standard throat plate.

The standard setup included an inside foot that moves with the needle and a double toe outside foot that moves up and down. You should definitely order the separate left toe and right toe feet! There will be jobs that call for just one toe or the other to sew the work properly. The double toe foot is fairly wide and will prevent you from sewing directly next to a raised area.

A good accessory is either a swing away or a dropdown edge guide. The latter should be factory installed for your sanity. The swing away edge guide blocks the leather all the way down to the throat plate, while the drop down can be lifted over a lining/bottom layer and still follow the edges of the top layer. This is great for lined straps that have the lining trimmed after sewing.

18 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

If your sheathes and holsters are to be sewn flat, just get the standard throat plate that ships with the machine. The holster plate is cutoff on the left edge of the needle slot, allowing you to sew next to shapes that extend below the base height. Actually, if you make pancake holsters that are only raised above the base level, they can be sewn using the standard throat plate.

The standard setup included an inside foot that moves with the needle and a double toe outside foot that moves up and down. You should definitely order the separate left toe and right toe feet! There will be jobs that call for just one toe or the other to sew the work properly. The double toe foot is fairly wide and will prevent you from sewing directly next to a raised area.

A good accessory is either a swing away or a dropdown edge guide. The latter should be factory installed for your sanity. The swing away edge guide blocks the leather all the way down to the throat plate, while the drop down can be lifted over a lining/bottom layer and still follow the edges of the top layer. This is great for lined straps that have the lining trimmed after sewing.

perfect that was the perfect answer to my question I was hoping that Wiz would chime in, you are very knowledgeable Wiz.  Just one more question on the CB3200 I am tall 6'5", is the table adjustable that comes with the head that is sold by Toledo, the table that comes in the package not the upgrade. would it be worth it to buy the pedestal stand that I am guessing is adjustable. is there anywhere in Washington/Oregon/Idaho/Montana that sells either the cobra or the cowboy machines Thanks again for you guys help

2 hours ago, Joshstrange said:

perfect that was the perfect answer to my question I was hoping that Wiz would chime in, you are very knowledgeable Wiz.  Just one more question on the CB3200 I am tall 6'5", is the table adjustable that comes with the head that is sold by Toledo, the table that comes in the package not the upgrade. would it be worth it to buy the pedestal stand that I am guessing is adjustable. is there anywhere in Washington/Oregon/Idaho/Montana that sells either the cobra or the cowboy machines Thanks again for you guys help

I guess you'll need to ask the dealer how high the table can be raised and still have the floor pedals function. Do you need higher than standard office or computer desks? The pedestal table isn't really the best for sitting at on a regular chair. I use a bar stool with my CB4500.

To the best of my knowledge, the only authorized US Cowboy sewing machine dealers are in Ohio and Texas. If there are others in the west coast I don't know about them right now.

Cobra is based in California and Springfield Leather is an affiliate dealer in Missouri.

I purchased a 3200 from a rep in Maryland.  Got his information from Ryan.  The standard table that comes with the 3200 is adjustable in height - I'm not sure how high it goes though.

2 hours ago, Smartee said:

I purchased a 3200 from a rep in Maryland.  Got his information from Ryan.  The standard table that comes with the 3200 is adjustable in height - I'm not sure how high it goes though.

I bought mine used and the standard table was already set up. I find it too high to sit at in a chair. And almost too low to stand at. But, I think it is sitting in the middle of it's range. I will try to take a look at it when I get home today. I am almost certain it is adjustable.

For reference, I am 5'10. I used to be 6'1" but my chiropractor said/proved otherwise.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

I bought mine used and the standard table was already set up. I find it too high to sit at in a chair. And almost too low to stand at. But, I think it is sitting in the middle of it's range. I will try to take a look at it when I get home today. I am almost certain it is adjustable.

For reference, I am 5'10. I used to be 6'1" but my chiropractor said/proved otherwise.

LOL ~ I'm 5'2" and the table is at a perfect height for me.  Of course he set it up for me when I picked it up though :)

Edited by Smartee

On 5/14/2019 at 6:43 PM, Joshstrange said:

I'm the Texas Dealer for Cowboy.   I would suggest the CB3200 PRO, which is the 3200 mounted on the pedestal stand.  This pedestal stand can be set to a height of 41", which is quite tall.  In addition, if you let us know, we will flip the base and mount the foot pedals further away from your seated position by about 10 inches.  This makes it much more comfortable for a person with long legs or tall stature.   http://www.solar-leather.com/cowboy-cb3200-pro

Alternatively, you can choose the CB4500.  Same stand, same option, greater sewing capabilities.  http://www.solar-leather.com/cowboy-cb4500

Because we are the westernmost Cowboy dealer, we commonly ship to the Northwest states, and have many customer in those states you've mentioned.