archerydude

advice on sewing machine needles

I'm looking to sew 1mm  and above waxed thread what size needle would I need and where would I get them in the UK?

Hi Welcome to the forum

You may find this link helpful

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

What are you trying to sew and what machine will you use, as all machines are built for a set thread size and maybe a touch more, i am not sure but dont think anyone will sew 1mm waxed thread apart from some very special and probably very old machines

Welcome, Archerydude.

Which sewing machine do you have? That determines what sort of needles you need. There's not many machines that can sew with 1mm thread.

I have access to a wimsew W-0618-1 at work it sews heavy rubber backed cloth/canvas to nylon webbing  

Ahh I'm going to try to sew 2 to 3 pieces of 3 to 3.5 veg tanned

OK, what are you using 1mm thread for. That is like Tex 600. I think that would be more for hand stitching items. The machine you mention I think is only rated for Tex 135 (V138) or Tex 210 (V210).

kgg

1 hour ago, archerydude said:

Ahh I'm going to try to sew 2 to 3 pieces of 3 to 3.5 veg tanned

I have access to a wimsew W-0618-1 at work it sews heavy rubber backed cloth/canvas to nylon webbing  

I used to have that model of machine. It's an upholstery-weight machine that takes 135x16 needles. Not bad for what it is but there's no way it can sew with 1mm thread. TKT20 (0.4mm) is near the maximum. TKT13 (0.5mm) in the needle with TKT 20 in the bobbin is possible, depending on the leather and how your machine is setup. You might be able to sew two layers of 3mm veg tan together with it, using TKT20 or TKT40 thread, but not 3 layers.

Sadly very few sewing machines can use 1mm thread. I have an heavy harness stitcher that can take 18/8 linen (TKT5 or 0.8mm synthetic) and that's right at the top end of what you're likely to ever encounter.

Hi Matt S where would I get 0.4 and the 0.5 threads from? I'm looking to buy a machine soon (I'm bidding on a Juki lu 563 at the moment) what type of harness stitcher do you have? 

You really need to consider the strength required of the sewing for example V69 bonded nylon is probably the thickest thread used for sewing your leather settee together with all the bouncing around children and adults do on them 

Often its the leather that parts before the thread breaks, it would be helpful if you could give some suggestion as to what the garment  would be so advice can be given on both the thread and machine type

1mm thread is often used by hand sewing as it stands out and is part of the design appearance rather than strength

3 hours ago, archerydude said:

Hi Matt S where would I get 0.4 and the 0.5 threads from? I'm looking to buy a machine soon (I'm bidding on a Juki lu 563 at the moment) what type of harness stitcher do you have? 

I buy threads from Abbey England mostly, but you need a trade account. Otherwise eBay and sometimes Amazon. Synthetic machine threads are typically sold by their metric/ticket number in the UK -- TKT20 is what I would expect to put through a machine like that, or TKT40 if I need something a little thinner.

Juki make good machines -- better build quality than that Wimsew. A 563 will be a similar capacity to that Wimsew you have at work -- still no triple layers of 3mm veg tan and no heavy threads!

Out of interest, what are you making?

My heaviest machine is a BUSM #6 -- a classic machine designed for making working horse harness. It can sew up to 20mm thickness of veg tan using threads up to 0.8mm... or maybe a little thicker but I can't find bigger needles.
busm6.jpg.892ca600bf57c0efa4555d3d812eedad.jpg

Also got a couple of Singer 45s, which are fairly heavy duty.

Hi Matt S nice machine I'm looking to sew heavy archery Quivers with pouches as an integral part of the Quiver hence the 3 layers I could redesign the Quiver to avoid 3 layers 

There are some singers on ebay similar design to your machine would one of those suit me better?

Hi Matt S there are a couple of Singer 29 k patchers on ebay that are in my price rangewould 1 of these be better than a juki for what i would like to do?

5 hours ago, archerydude said:

Hi Matt S nice machine I'm looking to sew heavy archery Quivers with pouches as an integral part of the Quiver hence the 3 layers I could redesign the Quiver to avoid 3 layers 

There are some singers on ebay similar design to your machine would one of those suit me better?

Yeah it's a good machine. Slow and heavy but powerful and reliable. I'd be happy to sew some pieces for you if you like though getting the very heavy thread is difficult. I mostly use TKT8 polyester at the moment and even that's pretty hard to find.

A Singer 45K or similar would do 3x layers of 3mm leather fine, though you'd be limited to TKT8 thread (0.65mm).

6 minutes ago, archerydude said:

Hi Matt S there are a couple of Singer 29 k patchers on ebay that are in my price rangewould 1 of these be better than a juki for what i would like to do?

No, patchers like the 29k would be worse for this job than that Juki.

there are couple of singer 45's for sale a45ksv99 for £479 a45k58 for £488 and a45k89 head only for £175 (a serious project) what would suit me best?

there are couple of singer 45's for sale a45ksv99 for £479 a45k58 for £488 and a45k89 head only for £175 (a serious project) what would suit me best?

The first two are flat-beds. Will your project/product fit on a flat-bed? Also, the 58 subclass doesn't have a reverse.

Just now, chrisash said:

That's a 133K, but yes similar to the cylinder-bed 45Ks.

I think I can get it done on a flat bed with a little bit of hand stitching.

what machine isn't a flat bed would an Adler be an alternative?

12 minutes ago, archerydude said:

I think I can get it done on a flat bed with a little bit of hand stitching.

what machine isn't a flat bed would an Adler be an alternative?

There's cylinder bed Singer 45Ks as well as flat-beds, and the Adler 5/105/205 series are cylinder beds of a similar capacity to the old Singer 45Ks. There's really just too many suitable machines to list.

Industrial sewing machines are something that needs a lot of homework to buy wisely.

There is an Adler 105 for£350 just got to drive to Yorkshire to collect is that a bargain? 

Just now, archerydude said:

There is an Adler 105 for£350 just got to drive to Yorkshire to collect is that a bargain? 

What does your research show you about that machine model? And how far is Yorkshire from where you are?

watched a youtube vid and it seemed more than capable for what need at the moment

OH OOPS! I live in  Andover Hampshire:blink:

5 minutes ago, archerydude said:

watched a youtube vid and it seemed more than capable for what need at the moment

2 minutes ago, archerydude said:

OH OOPS! I live in  Andover Hampshire:blink:

That's a long drive to Yerksher and back!

I think the one you're looking at is the 105-MO on eBay, yes? That's got a differential upper feed, which is used in puckering the toes of boat shoes. Apparently you can set the upper feed to match the lower feed but I've never tried. Maybe @Constabulary or @Uwe knows?

It's the 105-8 I was looking it up when you replied

If, If,  it suits your needs, go for it. What is a drive to get what you require? Decent roads, plenty of rest places, a tankful of motion-lotion. . . . 

In my reckoning; If I can drive there and back inside 24 hours, then its 'local', :lol:    thus all of the island of Hibernia and most of Scotland is 'local' to me  :huh: