Sign in to follow this  
JC2019

Good video guides for learning about Sewing Machines?

I am in the very early stages of my leather work but I know I will want a sewing machine at one point. I want to start getting familiar with them early on.  I have a Singer Heavy Duty 4452, which seems to be not suitable for leather even thought it has it listed, I bought it to use as a fabric machine. Maybe it could do chrome tanned?

Either way, I know the cost will be about 2k-3k$ because I'd rather buy new and have a good warranty. I'm in the Bay Area. I have many projects to spend my time tinkering with so I'd rather it just work out of the box with minimal effort. Up until this point, I haven't been a big fan of sewing machines with fabric, probably because I am not as excited about the medium itself. 

I believe I saw a thread by Wizcrafts that mentioned a set of videos to learn from?  I lost the thread but video is my preferred method of learning.

My use case will be wallets to start but eventually shoes, and bags, maybe jackets, probably some knife sheaths, maybe gun holsters. Nothing like saddles.  

I watched videos on TechSew by Little King Goods and Stock and Berrel Co on Cowboy CB 3200. The Cowboy 3200 seems attractive in price + performance. But perhaps for all the range of projects I want to do a Juki 1508H or 1508N would be good

I've watched other videos but still just learning. I know I will want it to be quiet so it will need to be some type of server motor?

Edited by JC2019

Not videos, but Ron from Techsew did an  'Ask Me Anythings' on Reddit a few years ago and it has some good information...

Ron AMA - Apr, 2016

Here is some from solar leather machines....

http://www.solar-leather.com/supporthelp

In my opinion, a key point that you and all face is thread size. The products we used regularly have found a standard to use, say blu jeans, coats and suits. 

With this to remind us of tested and proven types and sizes, we have a good base to consider.  In some leather projects we can and should pick our priority. Doing this painful task we find standards of thread used in proven ways. 

All this hot air leads the conversation to machines were designed to use a certain range of thread, and tuned for a specific! This sounds simple and is. What is not obvious is the machines inner workings are designed to punch holes and pull/tension on these threads we choose. 

Some of the machine names are old and have proven themselves, some 24/7 with a factory operator who many times could be piece work paid,  these operators do have a speed and its usually the machines top. These are the machines to consider for heavier duty rated sewing.

Good day 

Floyd

I think you are going to need at least two machines to do the range of work you mentioned. Maybe a Juki DNU-1541S or similar for the upholstery weight items and a Cobra class 4 type machine for sheath / holster work. Sewing Gold have a good set of videos on youtube that maybe of interest. Machines that do good work on the lighter weight stuff won't be able to handle the heavy and the ones that have the punching power to handle the heavy stuff would probably tearup the light stuff without always having to fiddle around with it's setup.

kgg