arashikage

Fenda/Sutton 6" splitter blade shape

I know this is a long shot. I'm trying to determine the factory blade shape of a splitter. I recently acquired a 6" hand crank splitter. The blade on it appears to be convex on both sides, like a knife, as opposed to the chisel type blade of a Landis 30. I'm trying to figure out if this was the original blade or if somebody tried to "improve" it by grinding both sides.

The badging on it says Sutton but it looks like it might not be original. It matches in all other ways to a Fenda splitter. I can't find anything about them other than there is a German company still selling them and replacement blades but there are no pics or description. I can't find any documentation on this machine either. 

I have an email into Landis International whose current splitter looks more like a Fenda than the old Landis 30.

I've searched the forum and the 2 or 3 people on here that have mentioned Fenda haven't been on in a year or more. 

The pic is not mine but just to show what a Fenda looks like.

5D785647-7D58-4701-BEC1-D938E64E5404.jpeg

Just understanding how a splitter works would suggest that it should be flat on one side and beveled on the other (single bevel blade).  Unless you have two rollers guiding the leather into the blade.  I would think you would have a difficult time getting a thin split with a double convex blade.  Good luck with the info search, and let us know what you find out!

YinTx

9 hours ago, YinTx said:

Just understanding how a splitter works would suggest that it should be flat on one side and beveled on the other (single bevel blade).  Unless you have two rollers guiding the leather into the blade.  I would think you would have a difficult time getting a thin split with a double convex blade.

YinTx

This does have 2 rollers. The top one is smooth to not cause damage and the bottom is grooved to serve as a feed roller. I don't know how thin these were ever meant to split. Most splitters like this, the Landis 30 included, were built for sole splitting. So you would be using thick stiff leather which is easier to split. 

Landis got back to me sooner than I expected. They said it is in fact a double convex blade from the factory. They also have replacement blades $430. Not sure if that's US or CAD. This means I'm going to have to really dial in the alignment of the blade after I sharpen it. 

I have a fenda splitter and I sharpen the blade by hand. Not difficult if you are careful.  I buff it regularly and don't have to sharpen it very often.  Buffer is your friend! HTH

I'm just going to be quiet now until I get enough sleep to speak intelligently.  :)

YinTx

The Hightex  Cowboy splitter seems to be a clone of the Fenda splitter. I bought one yesterday ! :D

Edited by oldtimer