I have a Singer 31-15. Had it sewing beautifully with #92 thread. Switched to #69 & the bobbin thread is looping BADLY. 

I noticed that after a couple of stitches, the thread is jumping out of the tension discs. I've tried adjusting the tension on the discs, thread still jumps out. It seems as if it needs more tension before the discs to keep it between the discs.

I appreciate any suggestions you experienced folk have, however, I'm not a sewing machine repair person, or by any standard an expert, so simple answers will be the most helpful. I'm not up on the technical terminology. 

Thanks!

707FB4CD-BF0B-4929-9577-3154540343D6.jpeg

Edited by LyndHoll
Add photo

Often when you put in smaller thread in bobbin, you need to adjust the lower tension, because it will be too low. Did you do that?

And I have to ask - no offense - did you remember to lower the presser foot? I got your Picture in my head from forgetting that.

If there are any posts with holes in that you can wind the thread around before the tension discs, wind it through more holes than you did for the #92..and check that the tension discs are working properly that he spring is not broken, and that the little bar ( it lives inside the machine.is like a thick needle but shorter and with no point..it pushes through the disc which is nearest to the machine onto the discs which is acted upon by the tension spring, thus it pushes them apart to release the tension when the foot is lifted..it can break, bend, stick , drop out, get kidnapped by aliens, ) that pushes them apart to release them when the foot is lifted has not stuck or broken..Looks and sounds from your description and image, like your tension discs are not closing up correctly..

Edited by mikesc

Mikesc, thanks for the reply. That makes sense. I'll look into these recommendations.

The most common cause for looping underneath is improper threading(make sure it's pulled all the way between the discs) or too loose of tension.

We are back in business! Thanks for the help. Prettiest stitch since I bought the thing.

I have so much appreciation for everyone who watches the forums and responds with suggestions when we're in a bit of trouble. Thanks to all who responded.

2 hours ago, LyndHoll said:

Yep. It's a knee lever, so not hard to remember that.

I had this problem and its easy to do Make sure you arent unintensionally pressing your knee against the lifter as it will do just that if the slightest touch there.I know cause I did  .otherwise like others said tension check till right

What was the solution? Just for anyone who searches and finds this thread.:)

On 5/16/2019 at 10:06 AM, Gymnast said:

And I have to ask - no offense - did you remember to lower the presser foot? I got your Picture in my head from forgetting that.

Lower the presser foot when sewing, but: It seems like every time I have this problem it comes from threading the machine with the needle presser foot accidentally DOWN. Easier to do with a knee lift because your tendency is to "store" the machine with the presser bar down rather than up. If the presser bar isn't up when you thread the machine, then the tension discs aren't open enough for the thread to slip between them. 

Edited by sewingfarmer
clarity