Joshstrange

what kind of leather is this

What Kind of leather is this, it looks like a chap leather to me but i've never really worked with that kind of leather before so I am not sure.  The customer wants a holster for the same pistol made from the same material, it is a 410 break action pistol.  what would be a good leather to use for this as he doesn't want it real firm lie veg tanned that I would normally use.  if it is a chap leather what weight would be used what type of leather would you fine folks recommend.  is all chap leather chrome tanned.  Thanks for all your help

new pic.jpg

Edited by Joshstrange

That looks like veg tan..old veg tan..not chrome tan.."chap leather" isn't a "thing"..( no such animal as a "chap"* ; ) ) but it might be a "weight"..

Except as a "slang" English word ( rather old fashioned nowadays ) used to mean man..as in..

"I say old chap"..

If you want to replicate that look the best bet is to try and find something equally old and beatup that you can re-purpose. Don't use chrome tan as the chemicals used are likely to react with the gun if left in the holster.

If you can get some pre-dyed veg it may stay supple.

I wonder if it's English Bridle? Veg tan that's been drum dyed and stuffed with waxes like latigo but not as greasy. With use it would become a lot softer