My very first holster and my very first commissioned piece.  I think it turned out good.  The customer loved it.  I have to pay thanks to JLS holster patterns and instructions,  the many hours of youtube videos, and the Tandy Leather holster/knife class to help inspire this work. Tell me what you think.

20190513_220409.jpg

20190513_215155.jpg

I think it looks really good for a first.  My first I couldn't get the gun in to mold.  Only changes I would consider are moving the stitch line in a little from the edges, you don't give yourself much room for error there and edge and burnish the belt slots.

Todd

I totally agree with you on the outer stitch line, it was very close when i was sanding to match up the to sides after they were glued.  I had the same concern with mine fitting so i first made a paper version and moving the lines in closer because paper is thinner and used staples on the stitch lines.  That is how i caught my problem and added room on the trigger side stitch line.. The belt slots do have some burnish but it was difficult to get in there like the outside, any suggestions?   My next hurdle is he wants me to make a few more and figuring out what to charge.

Great first go at it.

For my outside stich lines I don't set them unitl Ive sanded and done a first burnish on the edges.. same with any creasing/beading which I then set to match the stich line distance from edge.

For the belt slots I have the wooden burnisher the fits a dremel tool, I got it on amazon for just a few bucks.  It is pointed and you can work it down into the slots after you edge them.  I am like Plinkercases I don't set the outside stitch lines until everything is sanded and lined up.  I have a few where I thought it was "close enough" to sew and ended up with stitch lines on the back that were way closer to the edge than intended.

Todd

I put my stitch lines around the outside AFTER it's glued and trimmed (if needed) so I'm never closer than I thought I would be.

And to burnish inside the slot, all you need is a piece of wooden dowel, available at any hobby store, or Lowes, or Menards, etc.  

That is an excellent first project.  Did you burnish the edges of the holster?  I can't tell.

On the slots... first, edge the long side of the slots on both the front and back.  Use a paint stir stick or something similar, wrap 150 or higher grit sandpaper around it and sand the inside of the slots.  Then use just about anything round to burnish the inside of the slots.  I have used the shaft of a screwdriver, anything round... wood, metal or plastic.

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

i did burnish the the edges.  i had the outside looking like black glass.  I burnished them 2 times, once before wet molding and then after it dried as the wet molding had undone some of my edge work.  I cannot tell you how many people stressed the importance for professional looking pieces to have a nicely finished edge. Since I was paid for this piece, i wanted it to look its best.  Thanks for the advice on the belt slots,  i did not get them to same level as the outside edge.