Can someone please help me with a problem I have with my Juki 563L. I am not able to get the sewing thread under the tension spring of the bobbin. There is no way doing from the top so there must be some other way. 

Thank you,

Benny.

Is the thread coming off the bobbin from the right side? Are you holding down the bobbin while pulling the thread under then tension spring?

Please post some pictures

Totally understand!

In the same task, I have my biggest problem twisting the thread in order to get it to the left side of the bobbin case lever in a loop fashion going towards the needle side. What a pain, sometimes a pencil can help as the angle seems to help my frustrations sometimes. 

As mentioned though holding the bobbin is a required and great benefit. It seems once I get the thread past the bobbin case opening lever, I can just give it a slight pull towards the rear 11 clock hook position.

You can then feel it get into position, for next hook task to bring it up top. I guess it gets to be a habit and fortunately we forget about it. 

Good day

Floyd

I had a Juki LU-563 many years ago. The bobbin tension spring has two tiny screws on it. The rightmost screw fastens the spring to the bobbin basket. The screw near the middle of the spring adjusts the tension it exerts on the bobbin thread. Back off that spring a turn with a tiny flat blade screwdriver. Load the bobbin so it feeds counterclockwise. Pull the thread from the bobbin into the angled slot and then pull it around to towards the needle while pressing down on top of the bobbin. This should cause the thread to pop under the end of the tension spring. Adjust the tension as needed with that little center screw.

I suggest removing the bobbin and cleaning out any thread fragments and dust. Also, make sure there is a star shaped anti-backlash spring inside the bobbin basket. It keeps the bobbin from free-spinning when you sew fast (time is money). If the backlash spring is missing, buy a new one. They're cheap.

Thank you all for your help. First, I did not know the bobbin must spin anti-clockwise and I do not have a spring under the bobbin.  It may well be the solution. Where can I buy the spring for under the bobbin?

Benny.

I've had 3 LU-563's...none of them have ever had an anti-backlash spring in the bobbin basket. Frankly, I didn't know such a thing existed, but that certainly means nothing.

Most of the work product you will encounter on a site such as this is quite often produced by machines using *speed reducers* ;  The anti-backlash spring is more a fixture of balls-to-the-walls garment or other fabric trades, where you run the machines at speeds close to the maximum your 3450 rpm clutch motor is capable of, punctuated with ABRUPT stops at the end of a stitch line. The anti-backlash spring helps overcome the spinning inertia of the rapidly rotating bobbin when the thread demand STOPS INSTANTLY, otherwise you get a mess of a bird's nest reminiscent of what you'd see with a bad cast from an old-school bait casting fishing reel. That flat blue spring is very often furnished with the bobbin cases of many horizontal axis machines, but I've never heard of one for a 563, and never seen one called out in a Juki LU-563 parts list. Unless you are doing long runs like production shop marine applications can require, I'd guess you will never miss it in your Juki.

BTW, I'd like to see a picture of the model badge on your Juki...I'm not familiar with a 563L subclass.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

14 hours ago, SARK9 said:

I've had 3 LU-563's...none of them have ever had an anti-backlash spring in the bobbin basket. Frankly, I didn't know such a thing existed, but that certainly means nothing.

Most of the work product you will encounter on a site such as this is quite often produced by machines using *speed reducers* ;  The anti-backlash spring is more a fixture of balls-to-the-walls garment or other fabric trades, where you run the machines at speeds close to the maximum your 3450 rpm clutch motor is capable of, punctuated with ABRUPT stops at the end of a stitch line. The anti-backlash spring helps overcome the spinning inertia of the rapidly rotating bobbin when the thread demand STOPS INSTANTLY, otherwise you get a mess of a bird's nest reminiscent of what you'd see with a bad cast from an old-school bait casting fishing reel. That flat blue spring is very often furnished with the bobbin cases of many horizontal axis machines, but I've never heard of one for a 563, and never seen one called out in a Juki LU-563 parts list. Unless you are doing long runs like production shop marine applications can require, I'd guess you will never miss it in your Juki.

BTW, I'd like to see a picture of the model badge on your Juki...I'm not familiar with a 563L subclass.

-DC

Is the 563 a vertical axis bobbin or horizontal axis? My Seiko lcw8 is a balls adjacent to the wall fast machine (2000SPM), has a large vertical bobbin and have no problems with backlash. Even with abrupt stop/start. Conversely I used to have two horizontal axis machines that had to have backlash springs fitted or be babied, or i got massive backlash.

2 hours ago, Matt S said:

Is the 563 a vertical axis bobbin or horizontal axis?

Its a vertical, like the Singer 111/211/Seiko LCW-8BL etc (pictured). 

Seiko_LCW_8BL.jpeg

Edited by SARK9

20 minutes ago, SARK9 said:

Its a vertical, like the Singer 111/211/Seiko LCW-8BL etc. 

So is backlash not much of a problem with vertical-axis bobbins? If so why -- is it the weight of the bobbin pressing itself down onto the hook basket?

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

So is backlash not much of a problem with vertical-axis bobbins? If so why -- is it the weight of the bobbin pressing itself down onto the hook basket?

It depends on how fast you are sewing when you come to a stop. If your maximum speed is only a couple of stitches per second, the spring won't be needed. But, if you sew fast on long runs, inertia comes into play and the bobbin may continue spinning. Installing it against the direction of the hook helps counteract this.

Backlash springs work no matter how fast you are sewing.  I use one in my Juki 1508 and it does make a difference  despite some earlier comments.  We used them in all our 767 and 867 Adler's.  They do help.  Cheap to try.

glenn

Thank you all for your help. First, I did not know the bobbin must spin anti-clockwise and I do not have a spring under the bobbin.  It may well be the solution. Where can I buy the spring for under the bobbin?

Benny.

Matt S, my model is a Juki 563 and not 563L as I mentioned in my post. Can someone let me know where I can purchase the backlash spring for the bobbin of the Juki 563?

Benny.

17 minutes ago, Game said:

Can someone let me know where I can purchase the backlash spring for the bobbin of the Juki 563?

Benny.

First of all, your Juki model is LU-563. The entire LU series continues to this day and has a double capacity bobbin that is larger than the M style bobbins. You want an anti-backlash spring that will fit inside the basket. Mine is star shaped and came from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. You can call them toll free at 866-362-7397. Or, contact any industrial sewing machine dealer who carries Juki parts. The spring is probably only a buck, or so, plus postage in an envelope.