Sign in to follow this  
JC2019

Dying pre-existing colored leather that is not veg tanned?

I have some leather that I don't really like. It was bought cheaply to practice on. It's not veg tanned and I'm thinking I'm just going to try to dye it to "weather it" and experiment. Any tips or ideas?

Thanks

If its not vegtan, it might be chrome tan or it might be a combination chrome/veg tan. A lot of chrome tan has a blue tinge in the centre of the leather.

If you have chrome tan, I think you might have a problem with getting a decent colour, unless you like black.

You could try to deglaze it with some lacquer thinners, bearing in mind that the thinners will dry out the leather* some, so a coat of pure neatsfoot oil (not the compound or light option) before or after dye would be a good idea.

*Also dry out your skin, so gloves are highly recommended, and a mask to keep the fumes out of your lungs.

Whichever way you decide to go, try it out on a sample first.

24 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

If its not vegtan, it might be chrome tan or it might be a combination chrome/veg tan. A lot of chrome tan has a blue tinge in the centre of the leather.

If you have chrome tan, I think you might have a problem with getting a decent colour, unless you like black.

You could try to deglaze it with some lacquer thinners, bearing in mind that the thinners will dry out the leather* some, so a coat of pure neatsfoot oil (not the compound or light option) before or after dye would be a good idea.

*Also dry out your skin, so gloves are highly recommended, and a mask to keep the fumes out of your lungs.

Whichever way you decide to go, try it out on a sample first.

Okay will do. Eco- stuff from tandy toxic too? I guess better be safe than sorry. That's one of my concerns with using my burning tool on veg tan, the fumes/ smoke.

Pyrography on vegtan can be ok, AFAIK, but I am led to believe burning chrome tan leather releases cyanide gas.

As for the Eco-friendly chemicals and coatings from Tandy (or any other place), I do not believe they will be up to the task for deglazing your pre-dyed leather. Eco-friendly dyes are ok for some people and some people hate them.

Disclaimer: I do not have much experience in this field, but I have messed about with it a little, plus I have read some things here.

3 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

Pyrography on vegtan can be ok, AFAIK, but I am led to believe burning chrome tan leather releases cyanide gas.

As for the Eco-friendly chemicals and coatings from Tandy (or any other place), I do not believe they will be up to the task for deglazing your pre-dyed leather. Eco-friendly dyes are ok for some people and some people hate them.

Disclaimer: I do not have much experience in this field, but I have messed about with it a little, plus I have read some things here.

Yeah I am not going to be trying to burn anything but veg tan, even that I am not 100% sure on.

I am mainly looking to make the leather more "weathered" and maybe even black would be okay.

6 hours ago, JC2019 said:

I have some leather that I don't really like. It was bought cheaply to practice on. It's not veg tanned and I'm thinking I'm just going to try to dye it to "weather it" and experiment. Any tips or ideas?

I cut thru the lacquer coat with cellulose thinners. This usually removes some of the dye as well. On occasion I have left it partially dyed, then put fresh resolene on to seal it. It was done for a customer who wanted a 'well used' look to the item. Other times I have re-dyed in dark brown or black, then sealed that with resolene

These hats were made out of chrome-tanned, pre-dyed upholstery leather. The brown hat on the left is untreated, the black one was done as said above;

1166591595_Basichat4s.jpg.bd4a27bdadfe209170a488e119805c3c.jpg  1834206246_Basichat3-Cropped.jpg.1cb3287c6ea09742d69e343945baf6aa.jpg