beltbuckles

fix leather coat that ripped -w pics

so someone asked me to fix a leather coat for them. it has a few tears but the main on is on the sleave.

i think i should do the following:

-take cuff off

-glue a piece of leather under it

-handstitch new piece of leather to jacket  

-put cuff back one

should i do something different?  i don't want to go too nuts on this, let me know what you think

i guess i could just stitch the rip together but.. 

coat.jpg

coat2.jpg

What you are suggesting sound about right to me. Before you start though ALWAYS make sure that what you are about to fix is worth fixing. There is no point throwing good money into a thing that is no good any longer. If you find that a with little pressure that the rip opens up more then show this to your customer because whatever stitching you do wont last very long and then you look at fault. If it is only sheep skin ...don't bother you are wasting your lifetime.

Make it a sleeveless jacket. :yeah:

Think of a design in a different colour maybe , that could go on both sleeves ( like some of the biker stuff that has flames that come away from the cuff and up the arm ) ..that would cover the rip..then cut out 2 "mirror image" pieces..sew them on around glue them carefully on to the arm ( turn the jacket right side out first ) then carefully turn the jacket the right way in again and sew them on around their edges..If you need make a couple of small "accent pieces" in the same style to go on the front of the jacket at the collar..
Voila! ..
Custom jacket..no-one any the wiser..:)
Check idea with Owner first..May not be flames, could be flowers..vine, whatever ..but you get the idea..

HTH :)

12 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

What you are suggesting sound about right to me. Before you start though ALWAYS make sure that what you are about to fix is worth fixing. There is no point throwing good money into a thing that is no good any longer. If you find that a with little pressure that the rip opens up more then show this to your customer because whatever stitching you do wont last very long and then you look at fault. If it is only sheep skin ...don't bother you are wasting your lifetime.

the leather is pretty thin. not sure if it is sheep skin or not.      

im doing this as a favor for someone, so i volunteered to help.. which kind of puts me in a special situation but i would like to try to fix it. 

is there anyway to prevent the rip?  maybe glue a piece under it really well as a support thing?

i think his main goal is to use it  more than how it looks

8 hours ago, mikesc said:

Think of a design in a different colour maybe , that could go on both sleeves ( like some of the biker stuff that has flames that come away from the cuff and up the arm ) ..that would cover the rip..then cut out 2 "mirror image" pieces..sew them on around glue them carefully on to the arm ( turn the jacket right side out first ) then carefully turn the jacket the right way in again and sew them on around their edges..If you need make a couple of small "accent pieces" in the same style to go on the front of the jacket at the collar..
Voila! ..
Custom jacket..no-one any the wiser..:)
Check idea with Owner first..May not be flames, could be flowers..vine, whatever ..but you get the idea..

HTH :)

he did say that i could put a patch on it or something, i may try to patch underneath it first

Edited by beltbuckles

A inside layer of thin goat veg tan stuck to both parts of the tear and then closely sewn around the goat outside edge as well as close to the tear may work, the black thread would not be glaring out and if both edges of the tear at glued close together on the goat veg should be near invisible if done well