utah leather

glueing leather together

Is it possible to glue 2 pieces of 16 oz veg tan together and not sew it ( I don't have a sewing machine ) to make a heavy duty belt for a pair of heavy tool bags .

yes. make sure to use a top quality glue and ensure all areas are well and truly coated, especially the edges. Maybe use a brayer to press the two pieces together.

Yes you can,( famous sentence...) but the two faces must be very clean, defatted , and with a first choice of leather glue. If you cant sew it maybe you can riveted it.

At that thickness I would make sure the 2 pieces are sanded rough to help good adhesion but make sure that the outside piece is a good 2" or so longer. Without gluing wrap one piece around your waist and then the other on top and you will see that there is a huge difference. If there is too much difference when they are put together the glue will have a hard time holding it together. I would split the difference between out straight and curved all the way around and I'm thinking that's about 2". Getting it stitched would be a good idea.

You'll have to clamp it between two pieces of sturdy wood right along its length ( clamps about every 6 inches or so ) while the glue is setting.. I'd stretch the piece that will be "outside" before gluing, because it will be stretched when worn compared to the inner piece like Brian says..and then ( again like Brian says ) ..try and get it stitched afterwards..or eventually the two pieces will separate at some areas ..

How are you going to be attaching the tool bags, and the buckle ?..glueing will not be strong enough there..

Edited by mikesc

I've looked at charts and done some calculations. By my estimation that would make a belt with a thickness of 12,8 mm or 1/2", which is pretty thick

You could probably make it, but think about it as it would be very stiff and heavy; yes, I know that's what you want, but would that be too much? You're probably not too bothered about comfort, but after a few hours......? Would it flex or bend enough? And what sort of buckle are you planning?

Maybe you could go for something just a bit thinner, say 8 or 9 mm? or use nylon webbing? Or make up something with shoulder straps as well, similar to a Sam Browne Belt?

Soldiers and police officers carry a fair amount of kit on their belts and they don't appear to use anything that thick

Search YouTube for 'Making a Tool Belt' and 'Making a Leather tool Belt' There are several ideas

Edited by zuludog

4 hours ago, utah leather said:

Is it possible to glue 2 pieces of 16 oz veg tan together and not sew it ( I don't have a sewing machine ) to make a heavy duty belt for a pair of heavy tool bags .

Duty belts for policemen who carry all sorts of junk on their belts are seldom over 1/4 inch thick, . . . which is two 8 oz pieces glued together, . . . flesh side to flesh side.

Don't use "glue", . . . use Weldwood contact cement, . . . or a very similar product. 

This will also allow you to use a pretty standard buckle, . . . Tandy sells any number that will work for this belt.  

Alternate about every 2 inches with rivets, . . . top, bottom, top, bottom, . . . about 3/8 inch from the edge.  You will have a belt you can be proud of.

May God bless,

Dwight

This side of the "pond" glue and adhesive ( we'd say contact adhesive ) are generic terms..cement is what we use to stick bricks or cinder block together with, or tiles to walls..
Two countries ( yes I know that there are more than two English speaking countries on "our side of the pond" ), divided by a common language..and then there are the people from "down under"( various versions thereof ) and those on the tip of the Elephant head shaped ( Oh yes it does look like one ) continent.

1 hour ago, mikesc said:

This side of the "pond" glue and adhesive ( we'd say contact adhesive ) are generic terms..cement is what we use to stick bricks or cinder block together with, or tiles to walls..

What did you glue your Airfix kits with as a kid then Mike? ;):P
image.jpeg.8c3b5d5fc29bd1003dc8d2262e12f7ad.jpeg
Retiled the bathroom lately?

tile.thumb.jpg.91e1efc29e275ad935738a243d7c2f00.jpg

10 hours ago, utah leather said:

utah leather Interests:making the best veg tan leather belts 

Leatherwork Specialty:hand made veg tan belts, sizes up to 80"

Interested in learning about:any advice or tecniques on making belts.

Best practice is to glue and stitch. Anything less is a compromise that could easily cause your product to fail.

I wouldn't trust a glue-only belt, especially for something that's going to be out in all weathers, bent, abused, tools clipped and unclipped, 40+ hours a week -- then thrown in the back of the truck at the end of the day with the kango and 3 bags of offcuts bouncing around on top of it for the drive home. To say nothing of the practical issues caused by the stiffness mentioned upthread... Do you (or your customer) have tools and pouches that can attach to a 1/2" thick belt?

Edited by Matt S

When I was a kid..( long long time ago, growing up in Ireland and various parts of the UK ) airfix glue was marked airfix glue*..and tile cement was marked tile cement..and breeze blocks and bricks were stuck together with cement.
Don't know what airfix were calling their glue when I left in 87..I was only interested in leaving, but tiles were stuck with cement..I built 3 houses for myself in the years before before I left, and re-built at least a dozen with mates..

*And..Blue Peter always covered up the name of the glue they used..even though only copydex came in those stripey tubes..Could listen to the Goons while building my airfix :)
Also , I remember we kids thought that real leather satchels were so "uncool"..now ours ( that we mistreated ) would be worth real money, later, as teenagers, we all wanted leather briefcases as soon as we got to GS.

The rest of your post..I agree with 100%.. :)

Give you a clue how old I am..I was the kid who named Blue Peter's cat Jason..got a "Blue Peter Badge" and all..my Mum was so proud :)

Edited by mikesc

What about adding some copper rivets to enhance the strength?