TomBanwell

Machine for lightweight leather

I use a Cobra class 4 for sewing leather, but occasionally I need to sew a couple of layers of lambskin or deerskin. The Cobra doesn't like that thin a material. Can anyone suggest a sewing machine that is best for that thin a material? Should I be looking for a walking foot or not?

Depends on how many layers and how thick. I think a walking foot machine would probably be the best in being able to keep the layers together and from slipping around. You maybe able to even get away with a portable walking foot for the occasional use. Something like the Reliable Barracuda on the low end of new ($500 at Home Depot) or Sailrite LS-1at the expensive new end ($1300 from Sailrite) and then there is always the used market. If you would like a industrial machine I think you would need to consider something similar to the Juki 1181N.

kgg

I'd second the Juki..and I always post that the sailwrongs are .....
btw..When reading all the old threads here..Love your mask work Tom :)

Thank you both. I owned a Juki many years ago, but it was too large for what I'm looking for now. I will look at the 1181N.

I have a Consew 206RB that I bought cheap and it works great on thin leather.  I would look for something like this in the used market.

Gary