Alexis1234

What tools do I need to recreate this design by hand?

I have an antique loop die that i want to use with smaller (1/2") keepers on harness. The die I have is too wide... What hand tools do I need to recreate this design by hand? I've searched and searched but all I come up with is out of date terms for tools that I can't find modern equivalents for. What hand tools do I need for the checkering and the raised beveled diamonds? Any help in the right direction is appreciated- Thank you!

IMG_3424.JPG

AIUI all you need is a fine double crease, a ruler, a steady hand and a lot of practice. It's a bit like checkering a gunstock -- the diamonds are created by where you choose to stop each checker line. I guess it has fallen out of fashion in the US harness trade?

What out-of-date terms are you getting for the tools?

Off the top of my head- "beveling crease" and checkering iron"  are some of the tools listed.

tbh, I'd go the whole hog and get a brass stamp made for this. One stamp, used with hammer or press, will cost less than the tools needed plus it'll be quicker to reproduce in the small size and multiple copies. Where I get my brass stamps cut this would cost about £10. Either a brass stamp or a 3D printed one

just some thoughts on it

I have looked into that before but was sent to coin engravers,etc. Any recommendations for stamp companies?

2 hours ago, Alexis1234 said:

I have looked into that before but was sent to coin engravers,etc. Any recommendations for stamp companies?

I use a Chinese company, thru ebay, but I'm not sure they could do this one. I mostly get binary stamps made. I think this is one 3D printing would win on

I will look into the stamps- thank you for the info.