JJN

Converting a Handy Jr Button Press to a Snap Press

I needed to set up a couple of snap presses for a job I am working on. I decided to use Dot Fasteners Durable Snaps for my snaps because they are mil-spec, berry amendment compliant and have a variety of post heights available to accommodate different thicknesses of material. I am installing the caps/sockets on straps that have a .040" plastic stiffener between two layers of .050" webbing. I looked at Stimpson, Osborne and a few other brands and did not see a variety of post lengths.

New presses range from $200 for an Osborne to $300 for a Dot Fastener and $370 for a Master Tools Little Wonder. So I looked around and found an old Handy Junior button press on CraigsList for $30. The plunger pin was too short and it had a threaded end. The cast hole on the bottom was too big and unfinished. The Dot snap dies have a 3/8" shank on both the upper and lower dies. I am set up in my friends machine shop and he offered to make a new plunger pin and an insert for the bottom. With a little clean up and some fresh paint I have an awesome press. I am glad I have a US made cast iron press instead of an import.

The Handy Junior looks like it is the same casting as the Osborne W-1 Hand Press.

handyjr-1.jpg

handyjr-2.jpg

handyjr-3.jpg

Edited by JJN

Here is the original pin and the new one.

handyjr-4.jpg

The second press I found was on FB marketplace for $20. It is a C&C Metal Products press and was set up with dies for putting protective metal corners on book covers and came with about 2800 brass plated metal corners. This press was made to use dies with 3/8" shanks so all it needed was some clean up and oiling.

Now with this second press I can install both the snap cap/sockets or post/studs without changing dies.

cc-products-1.jpg

cc-products-2.jpg

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. 

Good looking job on both presses. I have a similar press that I want to set up for snaps. I wish I had access to your mates machine shop! :)

Brilliant adaptation!  For members without access to a machine shop, you can use Osborne pins in Handy Jr. machines -- easy swap and can be switched back with no harm done to the machine.  The new pin threads will accommodate any "1920" *** die (snap, grommet, rivet, etc.), but die shanks will need to be turned to a slightly smaller diameter to fit Handy Jr. machine bases.

*** Osborne is a "1920" machine (as are standard C&C Metal, Dynaline, Wade, and Defiance machines... which unfortunately are all out of production, but still around).

resizedwbwebsitephotos048.jpg&maxx=300&m

On 11/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, ButtonLady said:

you can use Osborne pins in Handy Jr. machines

Forgot to mention...  Handy snap dies have been out of production for a very long time.  They are very precious; I've never seen an old one for sale on eBay or anywhere else.