RKCrowe

Frankenbelt!!?

Greetings,

I was looking for some advice/suggestions about belts.

My friend bought a belt that is too big and asked me to shorten it. Yep, sure can, no problem...then I received the belt.

The belt is filigree from the tip of the billet to about 3 - 4 inches from the buckle. There is not enough space between the filigree to trim from the billet and I need to shorten it more then what’s at the buckle end.

With the filigree, I don’t think a typical; cut, skive and glue will be strong enough, or is it? Or the best way?

So, I was thinking about cutting the buckle end off, remove a section of the filigree and re-attach the buckle end using a “ <-“. split the buckle end, “v”  skive the filigree part glue and stitch. ?

My concern is that the belt is only about 1/8” thick, so would that make a strong enough joint? 

Any suggestions or alternative ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your consideration and time. Have a great day!

Richard

1DE810E2-6936-497F-9AE8-D7DA0CF7C7BC.jpeg

65BA2FCB-CA22-41B2-9701-F0D1AB474098.jpeg

I would leave the buckle as is, . . . and take off the necessary from the other end.

The "new" end will not look exactly as the other one did, . . . but carefully cutting in the circle ending in the two dots between the eyes, . . . proper beveling and burnishing and very few folks would ever look twice at it.   

May God bless,

Dwight

Yup, second this.  Take it off the "smart" end, make it look consistent as possible.  If you takin' 3.5 " or so off, then cut 2" off on the end, then use that end piece as a template to get the same curve back on the new end.

Edited by JLSleather

Thank you. 

I can see that working better then what I was thinking. 

Richard

you could make it as a western ranger style with sewn on billets for the buckle and adjustment.

Edited by chuck123wapati
ADDED RANGER

Thank you. I do like that idea.