DavidMillsSaddlery

Tippmann Aerostitch II still available?

Is this still available/being made? I didn’t see it on their web sight? 

What do these run? Has anyone had any experience with them? They look stout! 

Unfortunately, they are no longer in production. Seemed like an awesome machine. They tend to sell fast when used ones pop up.

That's all I really know about them.

9 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Unfortunately, they are no longer in production. Seemed like an awesome machine. They tend to sell fast when used ones pop up.

That's all I really know about them.

Damn... that’s too bad! The simplicity of it is what I liked! I guess I’ll have to add that to my “wish list”! 

What’s the story on why they’re no longer in production? No demand? Over priced? 

Yes,they phased these out quite a few yrs ago & do not even have any parts for them.

You could sew on the road with this one Driver!

From reading an older post "Artisan Toro 3000 vs Aerostitch vs Adler 205"  back in 2009 from Henry Veenhoven who was a dealer in Toronto, Canada.

" As to why they were discontinued, they made 1000 of them originally and then were going to redesign the machine with a longer cylinder. But the sales numbers did not warrant ordering another 1000 castings because the sales just did not justify the investment. They were selling hundreds of BOSS machines a month so it didn't make sense to put out so much money for castings when they could barely keep up with the BOSS production. "

This was in a post "Artisan Toro 3000 vs Aerostitch vs Adler 205"  back in 2009.

Personally I would have not considered the machine not from a performance point or cost point of view but rather the associated vibrations / noise of having to have a compressor running in the room. 

kgg

Edited by kgg
wrong word

One for sale in UK see https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/264039969208?chn=ps may be a bit overpriced for a discontinued model and limited spares if any

9 minutes ago, kgg said:

From reading an older post "Artisan Toro 3000 vs Aerostitch vs Adler 205"  back in 2009 from Henry Veenhoven who was a dealer in Toronto, Canada.

" As to why they were discontinued, they made 1000 of them originally and then were going to redesign the machine with a longer cylinder. But the sales numbers did not warrant ordering another 1000 castings because the sales just did not justify the investment. They were selling hundreds of BOSS machines a month so it didn't make sense to put out so much money for castings when they could barely keep up with the BOSS production. "

Shame that Tipmann doesn't sell a pneumatic upgrade kit for the Boss -- massively reduced production/inventory costs over dedicated Aerostitch parts and a functionality improvement to the Boss. "Got a Boss but getting lopsided biceps? Got a compressor? For $500 upgrade your machine to pneumatic. Now, with 72% more better!"

Personally I would have not concerned the machine not from a performance point or cost point of view but rather the associated vibrations / noise of having to have a compressor running in the room. 

I think that this was both the Aerostitch's unique selling point and reason why it had limited appeal -- the idea was good but massively outweighed by the practicalities. I almost bought a used one recently, thinking I could take a portable air tank to shows but did some calculations on how much air it consumes... and realised that at 5CFM a standard 24 litre portable air tank would be empty in about a minute. Even a big 250 litre tank would last... 10 minutes? Even a standard 2.5HP DIY compressor would be running about 50% duty cycle to keep this thing fed.

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

One for sale in UK see https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/264039969208?chn=ps may be a bit overpriced for a discontinued model and limited spares if any

Damn that's expensive, that works out to $2225 US or $2988 Canadian plus the cost of a compressor.

kgg

It looks like it has been sitting quite a time so may be open to offers

16 hours ago, kgg said:

Damn that's expensive, that works out to $2225 US or $2988 Canadian plus the cost of a compressor.

kgg

That seller bought the one I considered buying. They've put it on a new table and oiled it. Definitely worth the £1200 markup they put on it...

20 hours ago, chrisash said:

I had a good look at this one but after someone gave me the heads up on here i steered clear cheers Matt.I did contact the seller recently to see if they would budge on the price no deal even said to them i would have to get a compressor to run it, no chance. Anyway since then i think i am into a deal to get the machine that's suits me a lot better.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Well I’ve got an 80 gallon tank in my outside work shop (not inside leather area) and have already run a line into the house to have air pressure available to clean dust and gunk out of machines I’ve recently purchased! So the noise won’t be an issue with me... I was under the impression that the parts for the Boss would also work on these? 

@CowboyBob yes, I could mount it to my trailer and run it from my truck air supply! 

22 hours ago, kgg said:

This was in a post "Artisan Toro 3000 vs Aerostitch vs Adler 205"  back in 2009.

Personally I would have not considered the machine not from a performance point or cost point of view but rather the associated vibrations / noise of having to have a compressor running in the room. 

kgg

I’ve been in contact with this dealer... he’s still in business! 

I owned and used one of these machines for a couple of years.  It was powerful for sure but I never loved it, it was actually a bit scary to operate.    Its operation was finicky.  Also it was really annoying not having a hand wheel,  the needle is either up or down and you don't realize how frustrating that can be, especially if you get a jam.  

It's a relatively loud machine as well (not speaking of the compressor aspect). 

I know the owner before me (the first owner) had to send the first machine he bought back due to problems that couldn't be fixed and was send a replacement.

I sold the tippmann once I got an Adler 205 and have never looked back.  I wouldn't consider one of these machines again.

Would it be an advantage if one had no electric! If this is the deal.

To obtain and use the standard head from a Cobra or Cowboy with! the present pulley or modify a larger pulley ( solely for hand wheeling )

I honestly know this would be my path to leather stitching enlightenment, if’n I was in the deep woods or elsewhere with no electric. 

Then again, I'm not sure why I would be choosing that situation, and any sew machine. I mean my list of items is incomplete. Just sayin if I was just a road runner, I am positive a generator for even minimal other usage would be on top of a list.

I guess in serious supposing, of all these possible situations, this I still know. As an old mechanic, Im not getting rid of the wheel! And all it has help in our times. 

Now being a positive person, and team player I consider if a person was in space a wheel is less important, ? so with that a new proposed article for popular mechanics. 

All in good humor have a good day everyone

Floyd

10 minutes ago, brmax said:

Would it be an advantage if one had no electric!

All in good humor have a good day everyone

I suppose you could run an engine driven compressor for compressed air.  Also need power for the solenoids, though it may be only 24 v.  So if I was going to setup for work "in the deep woods" I would just use a standard machine and hook up to an gasoline or diesel engine driven electric generator.  I know some people use propane fueled engines on their generators. 

For more permanent locations with natural gas available (no electric utility) I would install a Generac 20 kW generator set.  I helped install one for backup power in an area subject to frequent power outages during summer rains and floods.  Can run on nat gas or propane.  Certainly allows one to sleep better and have peace of mind knowing you can keep two 1 hp sump pumps running!

Tom

On 5/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, turbotexas said:

I’ve been in contact with this dealer... he’s still in business! 

What did you come up with as to availability, cost etc.?

kgg

Compressed air is probably the least energy efficient way to make any tools work, especially if the compressor is electrically driven..Normally compressed air tools are used where one wants to avoid the possibility of sparks from electricity, or "interference" due to sparking..Only reason I can think of that anyone might want one is if they really really wanted a "boss" and they were a lefty, or only had the use of one arm. I think a treadle powered machine makes far more sense if you are off the grid or want mobility.

If any variety of Tippmann Boss made sense, the big manufacturers would have made them in large numbers, like they did with treadle powered systems.

Edited by mikesc
Fighting my "speelchucker".. and typos