6 to be precise, not really lots, but seemed like a good part 2 to 'Lots of tooled belts'... Would combine into one thread if I knew how to change the title so as not to clog up space.  

These are in the same style as said belts, but although the finishing touches and assembly was recent,  most of the tooling was done over a year ago and so unfortunately is not at the same standard as the belts. Since making these I have imported some lovely new tools courtesy of Mr Barry King which has made life much easier, and become a little more familiar with Western patterns. They say a bad workman blames his tools but good ones sure make a difference, as well as putting more time into drawing and planning the floral design, which is where i feel these suffer most. This was early days, but maybe a good 'before' and 'after' comparison can be made between threads... Anyhow, excuses aside, moving on.

These are all (obviously) built to the same pattern and were my first attempt at building up stock in lulls between jobs. Hand tooled, hand stitched, fully lined, and with double loop edge lacing. Closing pins are laquered antler, which laces through a pair of eyelets on the back. Shoulder straps not in the photos but will of course be included... 

Many lessons learnt with these but I hope you like them anyway. 

thanks, Alex

59295357_2216701891755971_5684725516490244096_n.jpg

59789047_2216702055089288_3612142949921456128_n.jpg

60044772_2216701671755993_2530228151049519104_n.jpg

60119414_2216701721755988_3715279292385460224_n.jpg

Edited by AlexOstacchini

I really like these Alex - colors are great!

Gary

I agree with Gary they all look great Alex. I don't think you have much reason to excuse your work for as I am sure many here would like to be so good.;)

I can see what you are saying about the tooling not being as good as the belts, but come on they still look awesome.

Don't sell yourself short. The right clientele will pay good money for these and your belts. You are well on your way to being someone in this craft. 

Keep it up and try and get some marketing done.

Yup, it's good for a guy to see where he can improve... that's HOW you improve.  

But I think they look pretty good.   The lace on the flap only is a little different (different is good), and the colors look great (is that stain?)

They're awesome!

Fantastic work, and it is a lot, I'm all happy when I finish one thing in a month lol.

YinTx

Great carving and lacing work there!

13 hours ago, YinTx said:

Fantastic work, and it is a lot, I'm all happy when I finish one thing in a month lol.

YinTx

I agree with YinTx

Thanks all, don't mean to come across as overly pedantic as there are of course elements i am happy with, but as these are intended for eventual sale it is difficult not to be critical of aspects that I know in hindsight could have been done a lot better! All part of the learning process i suppose.  

On 5/22/2019 at 11:05 AM, JLSleather said:

Yup, it's good for a guy to see where he can improve... that's HOW you improve.  

But I think they look pretty good.   The lace on the flap only is a little different (different is good), and the colors look great (is that stain?)

Thanks, mostly fiebings oil dyes with antique gels/ high lighters over the top. A lot of experimentation really, before I had discovered a working formula and not really how I would go about it now, but thankfully came out in relatively even coats!

Alex

I think they're beautiful! Where did you get the deer antler pins from? I've only ever been able to find them at Tandy,  and they don't always have them in stock. When they do, they charge an arm and a leg for them!  :rolleyes2:

On 5/23/2019 at 11:50 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Where did you get the deer antler pins from? I've only ever been able to find them at Tandy,  and they don't always have them in stock. When they do, they charge an arm and a leg for them!  :rolleyes2:

Glad you like them- the antler was bought as a bulk lot of tines from ebay or etsy I think, it was quite a while ago so can't remember exactly, but I don't recall them being especially expensive. Then it's just a case of drilling them out, chamfering the ends and varnishing. Antler pieces are sometimes sold as dog chews so I've found it's worth looking round pet shops as well- As much as I have found Tandy useful it doesn't surprise me that they are expensive!

Alex, pet stores aren't much better than Tandy! I was in TSC today, and 10 inch pieces of deer antler were being sold for $27.00 each!

Take a walk anywhere that there are deer and you find them when the deer shed their antlers..When they shed depends upon the species and where they are..

You might also look for items in "garage sales" etc, be careful when sanding or otherwise working with antlers and horn, you do not want to breathe any dust created.

Edited by mikesc