Guys, I wanted to give a shout out to Nigel at Armitage Leather, aka @Dangerous Beans.

I have been at leather work for a bit now and I have to say his teaching channel is Awesome.

I thought I knew how to bevel properly, nope. I thought I knew how to do a lot of things. Nigel brings some really forehead smacking techniques to table. His teaching style is wonderful and his voice is just a joy to listen too.

I have spent plenty of money on tooling over the years. Now I am learning how to apply them properly. 

This channel is worth way more than the cost of admission.

4 bucks pays for the whole seat, but you only need the edge.

https://www.armitageleather.com/courses

Thanks Nigel.

Giving this a little bump for the morning crowd.

I subscribed for the misses to use as a learning tool. I maybe should utilize this more than I have. Thank you for the reminder.     

Chiming in, I even learned something from the "How to Thread a needle" on his Vimeo channel.  This, after doing it my old way for years.

They are all good.  Nigel has been a huge contributor to this community for years.

Edited by johnv474

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Sounds like it's worth it. Thanks for the review.

49 minutes ago, arashikage said:

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Sounds like it's worth it. Thanks for the review.

It's a no brainier. It's less than a bottle of dye a month. 

On 5/26/2019 at 10:05 PM, bikermutt07 said:

It's a no brainier. It's less than a bottle of dye a month. 

I've recently become a  subscriber to Nigel's vimeo channel after ordering and starting on his Pouches Packet which I would highly recommend. His tutorials are a bargain and filled with his knowledge and craftsmanship. I am enjoying being back at leather work and finally feeling some real progress. We are privileged, IMO, to have this gent sharing a lifetime of learning and skill with us. Thank you very much Nigel Armitage.  

3 minutes ago, splinters said:

I've recently become a  subscriber to Nigel's vimeo channel after ordering and starting on his Pouches Packet which I would highly recommend. His tutorials are a bargain and filled with his knowledge and craftsmanship. I am enjoying being back at leather work and finally feeling some real progress. We are privileged, IMO, to have this gent sharing a lifetime of learning and skill with us. Thank you very much Nigel Armitage.  

I have been mostly buying more stuff. I have a 12" and 24" bevelled straight edges like his and also a 8x12" engineer's square. I also bought some wallpaper liner to do templates with.

The 3 measuring tools I found at Taytools on eBay. They have some really reasonable prices on perfectly good seconds. 

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

have been mostly buying more stuff. I have a 12" and 24" bevelled straight edges like his and also a 8x12" engineer's square. I also bought some wallpaper liner to do templates with.

The 3 measuring tools I found at Taytools on eBay. They have some really reasonable prices on perfectly good seconds. 

I hear you. I've been filling in with tools I know I will and am using. I have been practicing cold creasing with a C.S. Osborne & Co. maple wood creaser like Nigel uses in the cold crease demo I purchase after watching Nigel's Vimeo tutorial and even found I've had a tool for a very long time that I didn't know what it was used for and now realize it s a creaser that can be used for hot creasing. Been practicing with both as Nigel demonstrates. Just a small example of my progress.

I was beginning to get wrapped around the axle trying to decide what make of picking irons I wanted. His U Tube reviews sorted that out for me. Love learning to use them and practicing with an awl as I relearn to saddle stitch. I use to use overstitch wheels which I may find a use for again. Anyway, I could go on and on about what I've learned from Nigel and looking forward to learning more. Having a ball! 

What an advantage digital tech knowledge has made for us in this discipline even when you're in the outback. 

Edited by splinters

I watched a YouTube video last week that was new. He mentioned new videos are on the way for the Vimeo Channel.

Edited by bikermutt07

13 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I watched a YouTube video last week that was new. He mentioned new videos are on the way for the Vimeo Channel.

Outstanding. I have been working my way through the Vimeo channel tutorials as I progress with my Pouch Packet project and in some cases multiple times. Great to be able to pull them up on my iPad, which I take to my work area at the time so I can refresh as needed.

14 hours ago, splinters said:

…………..………... picking irons …………..

I meant pricking irons. Finger check..... LOL

I rented a few of the Vimeo tutorials at the start but two days later realize that they are all important and very worth while and being a subscriber is the way to go. A small expense for a  great resource

Just in case anyone would like to know which pricking irons I decided on it's the Sinabroks. I purchased the 2 tooth and the 10 tooth both in 3.85 spacing. It was a tough choice as there are some good ones to chose from. The photo that follows is the first project I'm working on out of Nigel's Pouch Packet. I chose the 2oz tin pattern as a start as I think it may make a good iPhone carrier.

7IXlelol.jpg?1 

Edited by splinters
To add photo.

Bikermutt07,

Thanks for sharing your list with us. Looks like quality items.

Edited by splinters

17 hours ago, splinters said:

Bikermutt07,

Thanks for sharing your list with us. Looks like quality items.

Yeah, I have gotten a lot of stuff from Taytools. They are some quality oriented folk. Most of their accuracy items are factory seconds, but are perfectly square flat whatever. I have had no complaints in dealing with them. 

They also have their own line of hand planes for a fraction of what other quality planes cost.

10 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Yeah, I have gotten a lot of stuff from Taytools. They are some quality oriented folk. Most of their accuracy items are factory seconds, but are perfectly square flat whatever. I have had no complaints in dealing with them. .

Been looking for a small square to use in cutting my leather. Can't find mine so went to Taylor Tools this morning and found a small machinist flat square that fills the ticket. Am now a Taylor customer...… LOL

Thanks again for pointing them out. 

8 hours ago, splinters said:

Been looking for a small square to use in cutting my leather. Can't find mine so went to Taylor Tools this morning and found a small machinist flat square that fills the ticket. Am now a Taylor customer...… LOL

Thanks again for pointing them out. 

Glad I could help.