pgb123

Help with Singer 236 Needles

The manual for the 236W or 236G post-bed machine designates the needle as Singer 128X.

Can anyone who uses the machine tell me which non-singer needles they use?  I'be been recommended several Groz-Beckart needles with various systems, and none seem to be appropriate.

Also, are there needles available with points other than the triangle point?

Lastly, has anyone changed the needle bar or adjusted their needle bar to accept a different needle system?

Thanks so much!

58 minutes ago, pgb123 said:

The manual for the 236W or 236G post-bed machine designates the needle as Singer 128X.

Can anyone who uses the machine tell me which non-singer needles they use?  I'be been recommended several Groz-Beckart needles with various systems, and none seem to be appropriate.

Also, are there needles available with points other than the triangle point?

Lastly, has anyone changed the needle bar or adjusted their needle bar to accept a different needle system?

Thanks so much!

SingerNeedleCatalogSystemPa.thumb.jpg.4bb4c1f12f1f17cfc0d47595396d8671.jpg

Thank you for that chart.  According to it, the correct system is 16 x 246 NW or 128 x 22 NW.  However, I'm just not clear which needles from which companies I should purchase.

I purchased a Groz-Beckert 128x20 which is listed as the same as 128x22, but it does not work with my machine.  Currently, the needle in the machine is a Schmetz 110, but perhaps the previous owner changed the needle bar height and timing to work with a non-compatible needle and now it's not working with the needles I just purchased  I'm just not sure.  That's why it would be extremely helpful to me if forum members who currently use the 236 could tell me which needles they use, specifically.

Thank you!

Most people would use the needle that is recommended,if your machine has been re-timed it's just a matter of adjusting the needlebar to use the correct needles that you have.You just take the needle plate off & turn the machine around until the point of the hook is @ the needle & the eye needs to be approx. 1/8" below the hook point.If it needs to be adjusted,open the faceplate,locate the screw on the needlebar clamp ,loosen it & raise or lower as needed.When reinstalling the needle plate be sure the small metal tab on the bobbincase is in the groove of the needle plate before you tighten the screws.

1 hour ago, pgb123 said:

Thank you for the reply. I do understand how to time the machine. I really just don’t know which needles to purchase. 

If you are able to find thew recommended needle system, in the sizes you prefer to use, buy a few packs. then adjust the needle bar height to match those needles. Needle bars can move from impact, or from owners wanting to use a different needle system that is longer or shorter, or that they have on hand.

If the needle bar height securing screw is worn it can be replaced.

128x20 is a round point ,128x22 leather point  is correct needle for your machine.

39 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

128x20 is a round point ,128x22 leather point  is correct needle for your machine.

@pgb123

There is your answer and source for the needles.