Sign in to follow this  
Hidemechanic

4-H?

i've been the Leathercraft leader for our local 4-H club for several years. I usaually have 4 to 8 kids. Sometime its hard to do group things because of the wide range of age and experience. I usually try to do one or two group things a year and then work individually with them on projects.

Doug

hi I was a 4-h leader for 27 yrs in horse and leathercraft. as doug says its hard to work with a group unless they are on same level. I also do demos and do stuff with the cub scouts n girl scouts also.

We are a 4-h community and our household is quite involved in animal programs. One of our neighbors has been frustrated with their leader(leathercraft) as he seems to be too controling about how he thinks they should be doing. They are trying to talk me into doing a group. I think my trepadation is just what you mentioned , the different skill levels and interests.

I know this is an open ended question but what are some suggestions for getting started and maybe ways to avoid potential headaches?

I presume I need to assess skill levels and interest,and who has what tools.

Do you suggest ordering basic 7 and move on from there?

How do you deal with the money issues in ordering materials?

I personally would not want to do a 'kids craft corner' and would rather work with kids that truley want to make something funtional or art beyond 'finger painting' if you know what I mean.

As I am typing this I am setting my peramiters but I would still like to hear experiences, suggestions, and projects that will work well for kids that want to eventually show their projects at fair. Thanks GH

I've been offline for a few days and just saw your note. I work with a group in Northampton County, PA, that has been established for some time. I'd recommend you contact their leader, Jan Martin, who is just terrific. Her email is martinJ@cs.moravian.edu

She can point you in the right direction on alot of things. You can tell her I sent you her way.

First meeting try to determine what each kids interest level is. The first year is the hardest. Next year you will already know skill levels of eveyone except new students coming in. I also use students who have been in the leathercraft project to help me with the new students. I have a list of tools that they need to puchase for themselves if they want to continue in the project. The basic seven, mallet, divider, square. I will purchase them for the students if they want me to and then am reimbursed.

The first meeting is a chance for them to learn very basic information, like casing leather and making good impressions with the tools. Next meeting I like to make a small project such a s a key ring or even a belt. Something we can do in several hours and they can take home. Then we try to come up with a project that is do-able at their skill level we can work one-on-one that can be exhibited at the county fair. I will try to post some pictures of individual projects done by my 4-Her's in the next day or two.

Doug

I have been teaching leathercraft in 4-H for several years. I teach a 4-5 week course that meets once a week. I have a course guide that I use and would be glad to share if you need one. We do a bag tag, key case, wallet and a belt in 4 weeks.

Randy

Is anyone or has anyone taught 4-H leathercraft? GH

Hidemechanaic,

I notice that you are located in Central Oregon. Are you planning on attending the Western Region 4-H Leaders Forum in Boise, ID March 6-8? If so, I will be teaching 2 different workshops at this conference on how to introduce leatherworking to 4-H youth.

If you can't make it, send me a personal message and I'll help you however I can.

Jim L.

Some 4-H projects. If this works.

1st Year project

1st_yr.jpg

2nd Year project

2nd_yr.jpg

3rd Year project

3rd_yr.jpg

4th Year project

4th_yr.jpg

Doug

post-2668-1202098771_thumb.jpg

post-2668-1202098802_thumb.jpg

post-2668-1202098819_thumb.jpg

post-2668-1202098834_thumb.jpg

4-H is a great thing for kids. I wonder how many people on this site started out there. I did. The trick is to keep them interested as they grow older. Let them enroll in as many units as they want once they pass the basics. They may or may not be able to show in more than one unit, depending on the rules in your county, but a number of units gives the youngster a choice. When the kids are starting out, I have them enroll in units 1 and 2. If they can handle the swivel knife, they can skip unit 1 altogether. Those 2 units chase off more kids because of too much repitition. Sure, they'll get it down real well, but they get bored in the process. Very young kids like the stamping unit, Unit 8 here. They can do a simple stamping pattern and have fun with it. That's the whole thing right there, keep it fun. I introduce new projects to them that they can get done in a 2 hour meeting that has nothing to do with their project, just to keep the interest there.

My meetings run two hours every other week from January to August, and I usually have around 10 kids. This is my 17th year in this county. They need the basic 7 to get started. I have a stash of other tools they can use, and our 4-H club owns a set that I can lend out to kids who don't have any.

Make sure they keep a record of what they do at the meetings! It comes in handy when they're doing the record books.

If you keep it fun, it will be rewarding.

Kathy

If you can go to Idaho, Jim will be a BIG help.

Edited by yaklady

I'm sure I wont make the Idaho forum, hope to be starting a new job then, but Jim, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on the PM.

Yaklady, that's some good info.

Doug, your kids are doing quite well.

To be truthful I think I'm conserned about the really young ones, because of me more than them. I'm getting cranky :crazy: in this time of my life. I don't want to turn out like the other guy.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I may be contacting one or some of you if I decide to take the step.' I'd rather be a visitor then a leader,but we'll see. GH

The 4-H club in Grand Junction, Colorado has had a leather craft weekend workshop run by Kay Orton for the past ten years. It has developed into a huge event among the 4-Her's in that area. This year I was invited to join them. GJ is 250 miles away, straight over the top of the mountains. A week before, one of the passes was closed due to avalanches. That instills much confidence for the drive out. :head_hurts_kr: I lucked out, the weather was beautiful for my drive.

The advanced kids were under my care at the workshop, and I taught them how to carve a horse and personalize it with their initials. It's hard for kids to sit still as long as it takes to carve a horse, but they all did it and did a great job. I also taught anyone who wanted to join me how to make a leather feather. Both kids and adults were happy to do that. Even one of the younger kids had his hand in it.

Kurt, from the Colorado Springs Tandy store, brought a store with him. Since there is no Tandy's on the western slope, that was a big hit.

Well over 100 people were there to learn about leather, both kids and adults. I think Kay's whole family was there to help out, as well as Bob Klenda, president of the Colorado Saddle Makers Association. What a wonderful thing Kay does for those kids. I'm certain the majority of them will be doing leather craft as adults.

My trip back wasn't so great. All the ski traffic was going the same way I was. Sitting in traffic for an hour waiting to go through the Eisenhower Tunnel isn't my idea of fun. Next year, I'll soak in the hot springs at Glenwood on the way back.

Kathy

Edited by yaklady