tecbuddy1

Need help Identifying this Consew machine

This is being sold by and estate service and they don't know much about it.  I asked a repairman here in Missoula and thought it was a 206 model but it has different

thread tension wheels.  I also don't think this is a walking foot but I am still new to sewing.  Any help would be appreciated.

I must also say that this forum is great!!  The knowledge of the users here has taught me a lot all ready and plan on learning more!

Thanks,

Bill

consew machine in Washington.jpg

consew01.jpg

consew02.jpg

It is a walking foot machine. But, the third photo that shows the two feet has material under it, which is blocking the view of the throat plate and feed dog. Those items will reveal if this is a dual feed or triple feed machine. A dual feed (top and bottom) machine would have a static needle bar and inside foot bar that only move up and down, while the outside foot claws the work from the top as the feed dog pushes from the bottom. A triple feed machine has the needle bar, inside foot and feed dog moving in sync, while the outside foot only moves up and down.

If you can go look at the machine, remove the material under the feet, then examine the feed dog and throat plate. It the throat plate has a small hole directly under the needle and the feed dog does not have a hole for the needle, it is a dual feed machine. If the throat plate has a long rectangular cutout and the feed dog has a hole or slot for the moving needle and the needle and inside foot move with the dog, it is a triple feed machine.

Dual feed machines are meant to sew heavy cloth, vinyl and sometimes, upholstery leather. Triple feed machines work with those, plus veg-tan leathers. There are myriad accessory feet for triple feed machines but only a few for dual feed. Most dual feed feet have teeth on the outside foot. They will mark up veg-tan leather.

Thanks for the information Wiz.  I have looked at almost every model of Consew that is on their website but still don't have a clue as to what model it is.  Do you know where Consew would

stamp their serial #?  My 111W serial number is so easy to find.

Thanks again

This probably is a consew, but these models always remind me of the ones made by Brother back in the 70’s (and 60’s?, 80’s?) There’s little paint worn through on the bed so 99% chance it’s been repainted.  In a generic sense this shape of machine was probably made by a dozen companies around the world as a less expensive alternative to a Singer 111, many of which are cheaply made.   Even 40 years ago the fastest way to increase the value of a generic knock off is to put a more desirable name on it.  

I normally warn warn someone that if it’s hard to find information on it’s most likely even harder to get parts for.  Maybe yours uses parts common to other more popular machines, maybe not.

At $100 I’d buy it if it looks complete and makes a stitch, but that would be top $ since there is an increased chance parts will be a problem.  Once it’s up and running reliably you could probably get $200 for it.  Above $200 most people would rather buy a singer 111.

Thanks for your opinions.  I didn't really want to drive to Spokane anyway!  :)

I doubt if it's a Consew,the label could of just been stuck on there be someone along the line.Lookup Mitubishi DY-337,the newest & improved model with auto-lube is probably on ebay model #318 or 5318. It has the top feed feet that have teeth on them & the lower feed dog has them too & will mark & scratch leather,these are great sewing canvas.& tarps.

Edited by CowboyBob

I got you covered, it's a Consew 166R class, see attached.

Consew166R-166RB-Brochure.pdf

Consew 166 Parts Book

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing
info@keysew.com

It's also a Supreme DY637 and a Chandler DY347.  I have both.  It is a Mitsubishi.  The DY-359 is a descendant with auto controls.  Walking foot only as stated above.  I know I've seen at least one other name on them.  This is the first time I've seen Consew on it or the Consew documents above.  I have only sewn on one of mine testing it when I bought it but seemed like a solid quality walking foot.  Mine will likely both be for sale. Mine are both large bobbin so maybe I'll keep one.

Thanks for your time and information.  Unfortunately my internet has been spotty to say the least and am finally able to follow up on your replies.

Thanks again

Bill

I knew it! It did look Mitsubishi to me.