Evo160K

Show Your Favorite Machines?

Managers, Members,

What do you say we start a topic where we show pictures of our favorite machine(s) and tell a bit about how we acquired them, use them, what we've done to them if anything to make them our favorite(s) and anything else about them that's interesting and unusual.  Seems it would be fascinating to those of use that enjoy seeing and working on machines, especially older machines.  In addition the large volume of information that would be developed and stored in one thread could be a wonderful resource for those to follow.  It could even attract people to our website and our banner advertisers/supporters.

Your comments?

Ouch!   Is the idea so without merit it doesn't even rate criticism?

I really like the idea. I wanted to give it some time to think about what story or stories I want to share. I always learn from other people's experiences. Thank you for suggesting this.

It actually works better for SEO ( Search Engine Optimisation ) if that kind of information is not concentrated all in one thread, that way if the thread or it's page(s) suffers from any kind of "penalty" ( deliberate or otherwise from any search engine ) the site ( other pages will still show up for the search term(s) ..in this case the names of he various sewing machines..

My favourite(s) is / are what I use now..That may change..as other machines arrive "chez moi"..it is sort of like "Hotel California", they arrive..but none leave :) Madame mikesc has learned to accept this..applies to tools, brushes, welding machines, computers, many , many other things, books especially..:)

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

.it is sort of like "Hotel California", they arrive..but none leave :) Madame mikesc has learned to accept this..applies to tools, brushes, welding machines, computers, many , many other things, books especially..:)

I suffer from the same problem. I just re-kindled my interest in astronomy (bought a Celestron Nexstar 6SE at an absolutely ridiculous price) and have now found myself looking at other 'scopes.:rolleyes2: My wife is very concerned, as at our "later" stage of life she is downsizing our possessions somewhat, but as she keeps telling people I keep upsizing!

As to the the topic, it has some merit and could get some interesting responses. The biggest problem is likely to be topic drift, which inevitably happens unless someone ruthlessly moderates it!

Durkopp Adler 69-373

adler.jpg

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 2:39 PM, JJN said:

I really like the idea. I wanted to give it some time to think about what story or stories I want to share. I always learn from other people's experiences. Thank you for suggesting this.

JJN - thank you for the positive comment.

Paloma -  what about your Durkopp Adler 69-373 makes it your favorite?

Mikesc - you may be correct about the SEO.  On the other hand, if the thread is successful, the SE's should find it.  In the meantime it will be interesting and helpful to the members and the advertisers.

Pictures of favorite machines from the knowledgeable members like Wizcrafts, Singermania, Uwe and the others who have been in the business for years will move the thread forward.

Edited by Evo160K

because  have tryed other brands and it's only with that one i obtain best and regulars results. It's work like an German machin.....as a Swiss chronometer !

Well,I have 5 machines  x4 industrial x 1 domestic  , but  heres my faves, the machines that get used frequently . 

The first is a Juki  144 clone, made by ' Q Stitch' of Queensland Australia( they no longer do these any more)  .  Its called ' Brutus' , and does all the medium & heavy stuff from  belts  , tool cases, & heavy leather to heavy webbing.Took me yonks to choose it.   The model is called ' Colt' , the one up from that is called ' Stallion' .  I bought it....um??  a long time ago , its also a declared asset for taxation purposes ( AU) , its also due for  a service  :) 

The second is a Pfaff 60 ( simply ' Mum's  old machine ' )   and does all the light stuff like thin leather ,  wallets etc. I call it an ' industrial machine' but it is in fact a very well made German  cast iron  domestic . My mother used to make our clothes on it , amongst the 'gazzilion'  clothing alterations  as we were growing up when we were kids back in the late  50's & 60's ...onwards  , so theres sentimental value as well.My Mum brought it with us when we moved to Australia, only some minor damage to the wood case.  .  She even made me a sheep skin vest on it when I was a wee lad. You can  easily & simply  replace the bushes on the motor from the out side.  It has a new life now.  A basic  simple machine, and so well designed, it takes industrial threads I use for horse rugs, and gets a lot of love :)  . Apart from the odd broken needle & belt, it goes great to this day.  

The third machine is a ' Seiko STW 28-B , (  ' Stewart'  )  my ' bread & butter machine' , especially during the quiet leather/market  months in Winter . Its does all my horse rug repairs, and medium weight leathers.  Its 53 years old ( I checked) Its originally a twin needle, but I only use a single needle. A friend of  mine moved, when she was having a ' cleanout' before moving, she was going to just give it to me for free, but I knew the value of it and bought it from her . Its cleaned and serviced frequently, as some horse rugs can be a bit dirty. 

The forth pic , are the  needles from the 'Pfaff' , Seiko' and  the Colt.

HS 

Sewing Machine 'Brutus' .jpg

Sewing machine Pfaff 60 .jpg

Seiko STW 28-B Pics 2018 001.jpg

Sewing Machine Pics 010.jpg

I have:

and a broken one Pfaff 332

One Singer 29K58 Cobbler

One Singer 66 Red Eye

One Singer 31-15 and

One Singer 107w1

this last one 107w1 is my newest acquisition, my wife thinks that I am crazy (and I kind of tent to agree) she ask me why do I need so many machines that don't even use that much.

I like them all, I will say that the Cobbler 29K58 (made in England) is my favorite, that is the one that I use the most, they are my toys and my hobby, I will add that I DO NOT spend lots of money in them.

1170992986_31-15Table.thumb.jpg.c3db743471f16fc3d2428b4ba1203ee9.jpg

492717844_Singer66cabinet.thumb.jpg.1490ad4b0018ece3353e16522b1632cd.jpg

29k58.jpeg

Singer 107w1.jpg

The following quote by Wizcrafts in the thread "Sewing Machine Reviews", April 1, by kgg,  (https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/85358-sewing-machine-reviews/), as well as comments from others are pointing out a need that could be met to a large extent in this "Show Your Favorite Machines" thread.

Wizcrafts said, "I think that due to the high cost of industrial, especially leather capable industrial sewing machines, that few people can afford to buy competing brands and assess them for nothing more than shits and giggles. Without some form of reward, it makes no sense to invest in competing brands simply to do online reviews. With a reward, there goes impartiality. Brand A might offer a full package of accessories and Applebee's coupons to a reviewer for a better assessment over brand B.

Not yet mentioned is the fact that some the dealers selling the top brands discussed here are run by a couple of people and not a large company. These few good men are usually busy assembling and adjusting machines, then getting them shipped, from the time they open until they can finally shut the door and go home. This doesn't leave time for video reviews".

If when we posted pictures of our favorite machines, the comments also included what features and capabilities make them our favorites, (as well as those weaknesses we're accepting), it would be a powerful resource.  It would not be the most definitive review by any means of a machine, but it would be a starting point with a user's real life experience.

Edited by Evo160K