IZNTHESKY

New to leatherwork...and need advice on a Singer 29K-70

I have tinkered with leatherwork most of my life, but now that my son is taking up this hobby, it’s time we get a Machine to sew. 

I recently purchased a Singer 29K-70 (Barn Find). It was covered with everything from feed, grass, bug larve...and the poo that comes out of the reverse side of the goats and chickens that shared the barn with it. 

I realize that the Patcher is not the “ideal” leather crafting sewing machine, but it’s all we have to work with. 

I am asking :

1 .  For advice on getting this machine up and running.

2.  Cleaning tips advice. 

3 .  My son wants to create wallets, holsters for phones, flashlights & knives. Wallets etc etc. 

I have never had a machine, so I will value ALL advice that you provide. 

I thank you all in advance for sharing your wisdom. 

While not impossible to use this patcher for what your saying you want to make it will be difficult. Holsters..probably impossible as the desired thickness will be more that the machine can handle. The other issue patchers is sewing straight lines. Unless you build a flatbed top for it and make edge guides it is very difficult to sew straight with this machine.

As for advice on getting it up and running, you will need to post what it is and is not doing. What I would suggest is get it cleaned up and running good, sell it to help finance a machine that will fit your needs.

This is a small bobbin patcher. The bobbins don't hold much thread. About the only size that can go very far is #69 (T70) bonded nylon or bonded polyester. That is okay for wallet interiors and thin phone cases, as well as for sewing patches onto Bikers' vests.

I have found mine to be a useful tool to have around, the maximum thread i have used is 138 bonded nylon and depending on the stitch length you can get about 4  feet of sewing, far more if as wiz states you use the #69 thread.

You are limited to placing each needle as you sew but if you have a scratch line in place it just takes practice to get a good line. You can use a magnetic guide, but i found that with so little area on the stem they do not stay in place that well

Good selection of needles available and spare parts try College sewing at https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Singer29K,29USewingMachineParts 

Good luck

Your best option is to look online for information on the care and feeding of your machine. One thing to keep in mind is that most of the 29K models work the same. When I just looked, there was quite a bit of information about the 29k70. I currently have a 29k58 in need of a rebuild, but I was able to download a copy of the owners manual from a couple of different sources, and found it to be quite helpful. In fact, following the instructions, I was finally able to resolve an issue that I’d had problems with for many years.

So, clean off the crud, read the manual and have fun. Also, I believe there are still quite a few parts available for this machine.

If you give me your email address i can email the 29k70 manual

Edited by chrisash

For most Singer manuals..including the 29K70
go here
https://www.singermachines.co.uk/indstbooks.htm
https://www.singermachines.co.uk/indstbooks.htm
HTH :)