Doubleojedi

What is up with my bevelling?

Hello

I'm after some help.  Carving and tooling leather terrifies me. Every time I try, it just doesn't go right. 

Deciding to practice I did a flower on a holster. If you look at the picture I've uploaded you can see my attempts at bevelling.  I seem to have a small line of unfinished leather in all of the lines realise that this isn't good

But I don't know what has gone wrong to produce this fault and can't for the life of me find anything similar online. 

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? 

Is my cut too shallow or too deep, is my knife not straight or too blunt? Is it my tooling? 

I really am stumped any help or advice is truly welcome. 

Thanks in advance. 

20190527_212845.jpg

My guess is your cuts are too deep.  Have you tried practicing with the same leather and bevel shallower cuts?  I see lighter leather at the bottom of cuts when they are too deep.

Gary

I’d say cut to deep. Immiketoo has a video titled. Cut shallower bevel deeper or something along that line.

Edited by Mattsbagger
Add to post

I agree with garypl. I had the exact same problem. I learned that I was cutting too deep with the swivel knife and I wasn't beveling deep enough. I did the tooling while the item was flat, then when I folded the tooled section slightly my cuts opened wider and exposed the "core" of the leather. From your picture it looks like the same thing happened to you. I found the solution on learnleather.com. The concept is "Cut Less, Bevel More". I can't find the article now, but they have an excellent youtube video that explains the whole thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZp_ZI2XnzM

After watching that I practiced cutting less deep and that solved my problem. Take a look and practice on some scrap to see if that helps.

Edited by TargetRockLeather
mistake

Cuts too deep?
Leather too wet?
Pounding too hard?
Holding tool tilted?

In addition, leather too wet

Good advice...

14 hours ago, johnv474 said:

Skip the cuts.  Improve your work by setting down your swivel knife.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand. 

Do you mean, Don't use a swivel knife?