JC2019

Hearing protection for stamping leather? Necessary?

Not sure if I should worry at all but I want to start doing more stamping and I wonder if the noise level is enough to wear anything?

It's not that loud.   Of course, Big Brother insists that you always use safety equipment like safety glasses, gloves, steel toed boots, body armor, etc. just to pour the milk on your cereal in the morning.  And the milk is known by the State of California to cause cancer.

Don't forget your hardhat to use the restroom.

:thumbsup:

Edited by TonyV

1 hour ago, TonyV said:

Don't forget your hardhat to use the restroom.

A hard hat for the restroom? How can you swim in a hard hat? You need water-wings for the restroom, just in case you fall in! :crazy:

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

hard hat for the restroom

I think that the State of California may be looking at the carcinogenic properties of hard hats,

H

Unless you're stamping with a powder-actuated nail-gun, you'll be fine.

All sound related to normal living can and does have an effect on ones hearing later in life. What effects one person may not be a problem for most depends on the individuals sensitivity. Unless you are in a tiny space, using 20 lb hammer or power actuated equipment for prolonged periods of time there shouldn't be a problem. I think California is just trying to scare the hell out of it's people that everything is harmful and putting them in the bubble wrap mentality. Surprised there isn't a warning on beds about waking up from a sleep that the sudden shock of awareness to reality may be hazardous to ones health. 

kgg

Edited by kgg
wrong spelling

22 minutes ago, kgg said:

All sound related to normal living can and does have an effect on ones hearing later in life. What effects one person may not be a problem for most depends on the individuals sensitivity. Unless you are in a tiny space, using 20 lb hammer or power actuated equipment for prolonged periods of time there shouldn't be a problem. I think California is just trying to scare the hell out of it's people that everything is harmful and putting them in the bubble wrap mentality. Surprised there isn't a warning on beds about waking up from a sleep that the sudden shock of awareness to reality may be hazardous to ones health. 

kgg

I believe I have seen that very warning posted on all Hotel/Motel room doors; it is followed up by a disclaimer that the owner of the property cannot be held liable for any conscious thought or clarity of reality that may result from a restful sleep.

1 hour ago, kgg said:

kgg

Laughs. As I age this is becoming more and more apparent. Thank you for an early morning chuckle.  

OSHA sets legal limits on noise exposure in the workplace. These limits are based on a worker's time weighted average over an 8 hour day. With noise, OSHA's permissible exposure limit (PEL) is 90 dBA for all workers for an 8 hour day. The OSHA standard uses a 5 dBA exchange rate.

Other jurisdictions may use 85dBA as the limit.  That is fairly loud in comparison to tooling leather.

Comparison chart https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

Safe noise levels https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html

Tom

I had my hearing damaged enough that I had to get hearing aids, nasty things, hate hate them. Lost mine due to shooting rifles and hand guns for extended periods of time with no ear protection. But on the other side of the coin the ones I have shut off fast enough that I don't need to wear ear protection when shooting. A side benefit is that the wife says put in those damn hearing aids but never says to put the batteries in. Blissfully Quiet

kgg

Probably wouldn't need it in your own shop.  If you do classes you might.  Even outdoors when I work with scouts there is a lot of noise.  Especially under an awning.  Up at the scout summer camp, the craft area is fairly close to the swimming pool.  They cannot have a class (i.e. Lifesaving) there if the leatherworking merit badge class is going on due to noise.