Dodong

How to fix / hide scratch

Well I ran into a bit of a hickup whilst making a laptop bag. 

Unfortunately I didn't notice the scratch untill it was well too late. 

So how best to fix this? (Don't have enough material left to make a new flap) so:

Do I live with it?

Cover it with a racing stripe? 

Any other way to cover it?

Many thanks in advance! 

MVIMG_20190528_161715-1024x768.jpg

You could just do some stitches like a doctor would and make a mean feature of it I guess.

Is there enough room to take a curve from the top of the scratch towards the bottom and the same the other side and then a opposite curve where they meet to make a half round curve for the method of fitting the catch

adjusted-flap--no1.jpg

Edited by chrisash

the best way to hide a defect is to make it more visible...

if it's me i  sew the scratch like a surgeon....

...the events are beyond us, let's pretend to be the instigators...

@RockyAussie sorry i didnt see your post...

Edited by paloma

I think I would just personalize the thing, . . . cut a piece of matching leather, . . . stamp your name into it, . . . attach it, covering the blemish.

Only you would then know the circumstances.

May God bless,

Dwight

laptop bag 2.jpg

If you want perfect you don't want leather.  I hand dye my holsters and sometimes the process hides the oddities and sometimes it makes them more visible.  Unless you specifically cut to stay away from them, you will get some hide issues sometimes.  I made a laptop case for myself once out of the brand on the hide.  It was pretty cool.  Brand was gnarly too.  Not like a really nice one.  IMO, unless it's a structural problem let it be.  

If it was me, it'll  be a good ' excuse' to get creative and  cover it up .I've restored old leather bags doing that to cover up scratches, marks ,  old or poor tooling, monograms etc.  I once made a spelling  boo boo on a belt. So , I got a separate piece of leather just slightly narrower  and shorter than than the belt, punched  out some holes and did a nice braid, and then sewed  the whole piece to the offending belt,covering my mistake,  only to find it sold really quickly.So I made a few more, they too sold quickly. 

HS