mauvedragon

Awl choice for repair project

I have a leather jacket with inside pockets where leather tops have been attached to the fabric of the pockets, and the lining. It was good when it was new. Now I’m struggling with repairs. Pocket 1, Pocket 2. The leather area is 7 inches across and two inches down. At the top there is almost no overlap between leather and the lining. Top of pocket What size awl do I need (in mm)? (I did without one the first time I repaired the jacket, never again)

Edited by mauvedragon

Sorry, but the pictures are so dark that it's just about impossible to see any detail, and thus to give you any advice

Garment leather is normally sewn with a glover's needle (sharpened chisel tip like a leather-specific machine needle) rather than with an awl. (Well, it's normally sewn by machine but I assume that's not an option.) The fabric lining probably goes entirely behind or within the fold of the leather edging.

I’ll try again with the pictures. 

I don’t have an industrial sewing machine and I’m not sure I’m capable on an ordinary machine. I’m also not sure which stitch I could usefully use on a machine. 

I generally repair clothing by hand anyway.

Edited by mauvedragon
Additional information