jbennion

Singer 97-10 help

I just bought two Singer 97-10 sewing machines at an auction.  One is a parts donor, but the other seems to be all original, even the motor.  I have never used a sewing machine before, and would really appreciate some help in the form of tutorial, advice, resources, and maybe even a shop visit to someone who uses one.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I don´t even know what kind of thread to use. 

@jbennion Moved your post to leather sewing machines.  You are more likely to get answers here.  You might like to add your location to your profile since you are interested in visiting a shop.  You might get invitations from Mars or Venus otherwise!  This is a worldwide forum.

Have you done any internet searches for Singer 97-10?  there are manuals available on some sites.

Welcome to the forum.  The best all around leather working site available.

Tom

There was discussion on the Singer 97-10 a while back such as "Singer 97-10 Users? Questions ". Just do a search in the search at the top and you should get some good info.

kgg

21 hours ago, jbennion said:

I have never used a sewing machine before

Wow, for having never used a machine before, you're starting right at the top of the hill!    I'm envious:wub:

Thanks, yall.  I've found a couple manuals, and read several of the posts here.  I finally figured out how to thread the machine.  I did hane to pull a part from the donor. # 58797 according to the manual.  The brass piece broke and had been soldered.

The old motor doesn't work, but with the machine threaded i was able to see a seam manually.  I'm on cloud nine.  

Any suggestions on a suitable motor?

You only need that part called the thread lock for when your sewing real thick leather like 3/4" or so.You can use a 1/2 -3/4 HP motor.

You could get the motor rewound or as Bob stated, get a new motor.  I have some needles for that machine if you need some.

glenn

Thanks, Bob and Shoepatcher.  I think i will take the motor into my local electric shop and have them peek at it.  Since i have two I'm thinking about taking the head off the donor machine, if i can cobnle enough parts to make it run, and putting it on a table.  Would you recommend a servo motor or a clutch motor, and if so what sive would run this?  I plan on doing projects up to 1/2", but dont wnat to be limmited should the need arise.

If anyone has one of these working in either original or non-original condition would you mind sharing a photo of the set up?  Most abliged.

If you've never used a sewing machine then fit a servo, you will save yourself a lot of grief and frustration!

14 hours ago, dikman said:

If you've never used a sewing machine then fit a servo, you will save yourself a lot of grief and frustration!

This has a built in clutch in the base... I’m not sure a servo would move this heavy of a flywheel? 

The motor on mine is 1/2 HP and 1750 RpM’s! Make sure if getting a new one, that the output shaft fits the large pulley

properly lubricated, the built in clutch works great! You can feather even thick leather! 

T

Edited by turbotexas