JJB

Different stamping methods...

Hi everyone. I have a bit of an odd question that I hope ya’ll can help me with. Does anyone know of a way to do a ‘half-stamp’ impression (not basket weave)? Basically, I want to be able to do a stamp right to a bevel line, or the edge of another impression, and not have them overlap. I would like to not use a camouflage stamp. I want to be able to do a clean stop edge in the middle of an impression. I tried using packing tape on the front and did a stamp half on and half off, but it still pressed through pretty good. I tried the same with blue painters’ tape and it kinda worked. Even with two layers, it went through though. So, I’m asking all of you wise folks for help and advice. Anyone got a method they use? Even if it’s just a way to remove an impression, to re-plump the leather if you will.

Thank you for anything that you can do in advance. I realize that this question has been brought up before but it focused on basket weave more than other stamping tools.

- Jennifer

The usual method is to tip the stamp so its at an angle; the low part where you want the stamp, the high part where you do not want it and stamp carefully. If you intend to do a lot of the same sort of stamping consider buying more of the stamp and grinding away part of it. Some of the stamp makers supply patterns in full and half stamps