07milch

Tension Help On Adler

I have a new to me Adler 267-373, and let me preface this question with the fact that I know next to nothing about sewing machines.) I’ve looked at numerous diagrams and pictures online and I’m fairly confident that I have the machine threaded right. I cannot seem to get my stitch knot to sink into the leather. I have a very minor grasp as to how to adjust tension, but have not seen any change in the stitches when I do make adjustments. Also, when making these adjustments, my thread wants to get jammed up and then throws my timing off, forcing me to constantly reset it. It says my pictuare too large to upload but I’ll keep playing with that. 

If we make the assumption that the machine is properly threaded, the tension problem could simply be too small of a needle for the thread combinations. Consult this needle and thread chart and use the largest needle recommendations in dense leather.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

If we make the assumption that the machine is properly threaded, the tension problem could simply be too small of a needle for the thread combinations. Consult this needle and thread chart and use the largest needle recommendations in dense leather.

Thank you I am using the largest one the machine can take. I think it is an adjustment issue. 

I found the needle size is a big part of the tension adjustment, what size needles do you have?

On 5/31/2019 at 4:54 PM, Bert51 said:

I found the needle size is a big part of the tension adjustment, what size needles do you have?

I’m using these ones (140) with 138 thread. It’s supposed to handle between 120-140 but it wouldn’t sew at all with the 130s in.

4BE0A36C-9434-4EA1-845C-5B19C06D8066.jpeg

Edited by 07milch

I have better success using #23 (160) needles with #138 thread.

3 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I have better success using #23 (160) needles with #138 thread.

Ok! There was a chart somewhere, can’t find it at the moment, that said this machine could only use 120-140 needles. I’ll see if I can find a 160 and try that.

I got the 160 needle in but unfortunately it made no difference. Still hunting for the solution. 

Could you post a couple photo's of the top thread path?

On 5/31/2019 at 2:08 PM, 07milch said:

I have a very minor grasp as to how to adjust tension, but have not seen any change in the stitches when I do make adjustments

The problem could also be related to the bobbin tension.

To get the tension right on your bobbin thread in a flatbed machine:

Try this with a fresh unthread bobbin. Thread the bobbin to about 80 percent and make sure it is inserted in the bobbin case so the thread comes off the bobbin in the correct direction. It should spin in the bobbin case holder counter clockwise. With the bobbin in the case and thread through the tensioner but before it is placed in the machine. Pull out about 6 inches and hold the end of the tread and let the bobbin / case rest flat in your other hand. If the bobbin spins easily in the case tighten the thread tension spring screw. If you can lift the bobbin and case off your hand with no thread coming off the bobbin then loosen the thread tension spring screw on the case. I like the bobbin case to stand up and the bobbin move sightly but not spin easily in the case. Before installing the bobbin check and clean up any excess thread around bobbin and hand-wheel through to catch the thread and try a test piece while holding both threads hand wheel through couple of stitches and see what happens. You probably will have to adjust the top tension.

As far as the top tension:

Recheck the thread path through the tension discs making sure the thread is well seated in between the discs. I would remove the top thread from the needle all the way back to the tension discs. Then lift and lock the presser foot in the up position to remove the tension on the tension discs and then hold the thread both side of the tension disc to ensure it is firmly seated between them. With the presser foot locked in the upper position the disc will be noticeably loose, not tight together this will allow the thread to be seat properly. If discs don't become loose they maybe tighten in to tight or maybe an internal release problem. While holding the thread tight on both sides of the tension discs unlock the presser foot which will cause the disc to close together on the thread.

Re-thread through the needle, the long gouge in the needle should be on the left side of the needle.

Also every time you change the needle (new - different size), the thread size (69 - 138), the thread type (polyester - nylon) or the thread manufacturer check the bobbin thread and top thread tensions.

kgg

great explanation , thank yo mate

I would like to ask one question in regards to tension discs;  as they are 2 of them, small pre-tension and main big disc how you adjust each of them? I guess Big main disc first then pre-tension one just to the slightest setting , to keep constant feed to the main one ? Or something like that 

cheers