ebdavison

Adjusting "pattern" for thickness of item

I need to make a cover for an iPad but don't want to wet form a pouch.  I would like to use a simple saddle stick around the outside edge.  I can measure the length and width of the iPad and make a basic pattern with some seam allowance for stitching.

The question I have is: how do I account for the thickness of the iPad so that I have added enough seam allowance so that when I stitch it, the iPad will fit?

Thanks,

Ed

Measure the thickness of the item, double that and add it to the width of the top/front piece. Also add an allowance for the corner bend. Unless you are using belly or upholstery leather which has some stretch, add about 1.5 x the thickness on the leather for each corner, that is 3 x thickness minimum to add to the width and 1.5x for the bottom plus 1 x thickness of the item. I add about 10mm more than that in case I've mis-measured. Less costly to cut off a narrow piece as waste than scrap a whole project because it was just a few mm too small

I think, that unless you are using real thin vegtan or upholstery leather you'll not get the leather tight to the ipod sides/bottom without wet moulding. With thick leather you'll need to groove the inside of the corner, wet the corner bend and fold down to meet the back piece. You'll need to shape the case around the ipod for a neat fit, or use an old broken one or shape a bit of MDF to form the case around

Thanks for the reply.  Interesting; sounds easy enough. 

I am a little baffled though.  It sounds like the top/front piece will be bigger than the back piece.  Why not add equally to both front and back as .75 x the thickness?  Seems it would will fit together easier and lay nicer when empty.

Just depends on your construction.

My preferred way is a thicker back part and the front being a separate piece folded down around the item and sewn to the back. Or you could have a long single piece, fold up from the bottom and sew the sides, or fold from one side and sew bottom and one side, or sew 'bottom' and 'top' allowing ipad to slip in from the 'side' - so many variables. You decide how the finished case/pouch/envelope is going to look and adapt the measurements to suit. Just personally, I'm not fond of two parts of the leather pinched together along the centre of a side or bottom on a pouch case

In most cases I don't really bother measuring, I just work around the object

15 hours ago, ebdavison said:

I need to make a cover for an iPad but don't want to wet form a pouch.  I would like to use a simple saddle stick around the outside edge.  I can measure the length and width of the iPad and make a basic pattern with some seam allowance for stitching.

The question I have is: how do I account for the thickness of the iPad so that I have added enough seam allowance so that when I stitch it, the iPad will fit?

Thanks,

Ed

As a rue when I have to work out the correct length for something along this line I get a strip of leather generally about 1" wide the same thickness as the leather to be used and I wrap it around the job and mark where the stitch lines should start and stop. The reason I do it this way is that you can better estimate the stretch of the leather and how tight it should be. After that you can measure it out and do your drawings and cutting patterns etc. Do remember if you are putting any linings into it that you will have to allow for their thicknesses as well.

All good points.  I like the idea of a leather strip to measure with.  I normally make test patterns out of cardstock but then it does not accurately account for the leather thickness.  Good tip.

I have never done a pouch that is folded over but I do like the look.  So maybe I will look into that style as well.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:51 PM, fredk said:

My preferred way is a thicker back part and the front being a separate piece folded down around the item and sewn to the back. 

How do you sew that?  Inside out?  Seems tough on thicker leathers or with veg tan leather.

Hi everyone.   

I'm a new forum member and new to the leather trade.  I mean, I did it a very long time ago as a kid (Boy Scouts) but really haven't since.   

Anyway, I was reading through this topic and was reminded of a similar topic on a youtube channel from Don Gonzales.  He did one similarly over a moleskin journal/book.  Although I can't say if he covers the thickness of the leather but he showed by adding a separate piece of leather for the binding, it would maybe take care of your concern??    Not sure if this speaks to your topic and please tell me if I'm way off base (I"m such a noob) but just wanted to share.    In fact, I have this very idea as a project down the road when I can get better with my tooling.   Right now, it's such a mess that's it's embarrassing!  

Happy leather making!  

JL