Jmaskel

Just getting started

Hello everyone,

Brand new to leather craft here. I've barely scratched the surface (no pun intended) and I'm already addicted. My stamping is horrible but it was fun. I'm looking forward to practicing some hand stitching. I'm broke so im.buying tools slowly, but getting there.

Thanks for the community!

20190523_103141-01.jpeg

I can tell what I am looking at, leaves look like leaves, so it ain't the worst thing I've seen today! (I saw that worst thing be in my "bunky projects box" earlier today:blush:).

That's a pretty good start!
Just remember,  you don't NEED to buy ALL the tools, and certainly not all at once! 
Here's a handy set of videos from Ian Atkinson at Leodis Leather (website = http://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/videos.htm) that might help your wallet out:

Beginners’ Videos
Top 25 Recommended Leatherwork Tools (45 mins) 
The Tools You Need for Leatherwork (15 mins)
The Hardware You Need for Leatherwork (30 mins) 
Information About Dyeing Leather (45 mins) 
Choosing the right type, weight and quality of leather for your projects (35 mins) 
Hand Stitching Leather (1 hour 35 mins) 

My recommendation is to buy tools only when you see that you will be using them in the immediate future.  There are many "common" tools that I have never used and likely never will.  I can see that you need an edger for that project and depending on how you plan to attach a strap, you will either need some needles and thread or or a hole punch or something.  Sometimes money can be saved by buying "sets" of tools but for me that would have been a waste.  Because I only work with limited thicknesses of veg tan leather I do not need a set of edgers.  A #2 is about all I need, maybe a #1. 

Another thing to watch out for is buying inexpensive tools.  I bought an inexpensive rotary hole punch and it worked for maybe one project.  It was so flimsy, I almost laughed, except that I had lost money on it, so it was not funny.  If you are only doing a particular operation infrequently, do it the hard way.  If you do that operation frequently, do it the easy way.  For example, if you are putting an English Point on a belt, mark it and cut it with a knife.  If you are making belts all the time, get a strap end punch.

Bottom line, avoid buying tools that you "think" you will need.  Wait until you "know" that you need them.

nick

1 hour ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Bottom line, avoid buying tools that you "think" you will need.  Wait until you "know" that you need them.

nick

And where were you 5 years ago? Do you know how much I could have saved?

27 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

And where were you 5 years ago? Do you know how much I could have saved?

:lol:

So true!

6 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

You probably just saved me some money. 

Thanks for the great responses. I did just buy an edge beveler and a slicker the other day. Edge work and stitching has been what I've been drawn to the most when looking at other people's work lately. 

We just finished moving in the last few days so i haven't been practicing much, but looking forward to some projects. 

Jeff