G'Day, I've been doing a few more upholstery jobs lately, mostly on M/C seats, and perhaps a few more jobs on the way, but using the " other stuff" ....that isn't leather   :blush:..... as per clients request. 

I've just recently purchased a ' Spear & Jackson'  pneumatic stapler.

http://www.spearandjackson.com.au/products/PA-8016K

Does anyone have one of these and are they any good ? 

I did try searching on here for info, and also product reviews before  buying, but nothing on the S&P .  The last stapler was  electric, and it was useless. Good on soft woods like pine etc. but no good for hard formed plastic M/C seat   profiles . 

Thanks,

HS 

I have never used this model, but after 7+ years working for the Big B I have a lower opinion of Spear and Jackson. I have had their shovels break, their knives and screwdrivers and allen keys bend, but that might be my fault.

I might serve you well, but not work well enough for the next bloke, or vice versa. At the end of the day, it depends on your expectations and use of the tool. (I am pretty hard on tools).

I broke 2 of the Ozito electric staple guns on canvas and pine frames, then I bought a Ryobi, no problem so far.

G'Day and thanks RB :) 

Your opinion doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, however, unlike shovels etc. this tool is pneumatically powered  so I'm hoping it will do the job well. I'll just have to try it out  for myself and see. 

I bought it from ' M10' , mainly to spite the big  ' B ' , apart from the fact that are no ' Big  B's  out my way. 

My last staple gun is an Ozito, Ok on soft ( flat)  woods....and thats it. 

I told the helpful assistant at M10  that I'll be using it with a GMC compressor, he went a bit green with envy. Seems they are  much sort after. Some of my other power tools are GMC , and to this day ( touchwood) they all work well. :) 

HS 

HS - I use a pneumatic staple gun for upholstery work and it is far better than any electric gun I have used in the past.  Not familiar with your local brand regarding reliability, but you should find your pneumatic gun will far exceed performance of electric.

Gary

Well, like a kid with a new toy at Christmas, I just had to try out my new staple gun today , admittedly only on wood, not a M/C seat  but it worked great , compared the electric one, the staples went in effortlessly  and much deeper . 

Even on wood like pine  , the electric one struggled a bit , the staples either bent or simply didn't go in very far.  The air stapler pushed the staples in just  a fraction below the wood surface. Wow !!  

I just need to do another M/C seat to do a full review, but I do feel confident  that it will do the job so much better than the electric.

HS  :)

14 hours ago, Handstitched said:

compared the electric one, the staples went in effortlessly  and much deeper . 

Hmmmm might have to make a purchase if they work that well! My Ryobi is just ok at best, so something that is that much "more betterer" would be an asset to have.

Brian - I guarantee you will never go back to using an electric stapler once you use a pneumatic stapler.  The pneumatic guns drive staples in just like a nail gun drives in nails - effortlessly!

Gary

If its of any help, according to the instructions for the  S & J staple gun, the minimum pressure  is 60 PSI, max of 100 PSI  . I had it set to around 65 PSI . I might put it up a bit higher,  to about 70, but I don't see the need. 

If I have time , I'll take a few pics of my ' test piece' of wood  so you can see the difference. It may be of some help to someone else in the future.  

HS