BSmithy

Singer 211G155 Help

Hello, I'm new to this forum but after many google searches resulting in this website, I thought it might come in handy and it has. I managed to come into possession of an old singer sewing machine that I believe is a 211G155 (that is what the plate says but some things aren't adding up on it). Anyways it has a miserable clutch motor on it that sort of runs, as in when you flip the power switch it turns on, but when you press down the pedal the pulley doesn't move and it makes a strange noise. The machine is filthy and I am working on gently cleaning it. So I have several questions about this to anyone that has experience with this type of machine. I posted a few pictures below and I can easily take many more. I am not doing anything really heavy duty with machine, it was used by an upholstery company before and I am starting to dip my toes into the leather world and hand sewing just kills my hands and doesn't look the nicest (at least not yet). I mainly doing book/bible covers, knife holsters, little projects like that nothing extremely complex or fancy yet. The price for this machine was great (free) and I know for a fact that it used to run beautifully but has been in storage for the better part of 10 years. I am sure there are more questions or comments in my head but can't currently think of them so I will keep adding them as I find them. Also if more pictures are needed to understand what I am talking about or anything just let me know. This is the first time I have ever used an online forum to help fix a sewing machine. 

1. I am looking into getting a simple servo motor, I will not be using this machine every single day, but some light sewing on projects like book covers and things like that, nothing extremely thick or anything. Here is the link to Amazon on a motor I am thinking about. https://www.amazon.com/INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINE-SERVO-MOTOR/dp/B001VK9YH8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=XO4E7ED40K4D&keywords=servo+motor+for+industrial+sewing+machine&qid=1559502680&s=gateway&sprefix=servo+motor+for%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-3
  2. Currently when you go to sew something, and I thought I had pictures of my test stitches but can't currently find it. It will pull up the bobbin thread and between the manuals I have and youtube I have it threaded correctly, I do believe. But the top thread just gets cut or broken with the bottle/bobbin thread instead of completing a nice loop. Any suggestions on what might be the cause. I can run another sample and get pictures if need be.

61601569_465161170897084_3150974482940690432_n.jpg

61819404_816769878698778_6154083171844489216_n.jpg

61876681_2553819338232303_2159959127835541504_n.jpg

Welcome to the forum, that machine is potentially a good choice (assuming it works ok). I would remove the motor (very heavy!!) and have a good look at the clutch mechanism to see if it's working properly and/or gunked up - although if you're going to fit a servo it's probably not worth the effort. I don't know anything about the one you listed but on the face of it looks ok.

Thread breaking - check the timing, bobbin feeding the correct direction, needle threaded the correct direction (if you go the wrong way it definitely causes all sorts of problems - I still do it occasionally!), tensions, threading path, needle scarf facing the right way. I'm sure others will chime in here.

Anyhow, while you are trying to get it stitching properly you don't need a motor as the best way is to handwheel it slowly to see what is happening.

A little more info would help with your problem. What size thread are you using, what size of needle are you using, what are you trying to sew and pictures of the top thread path.

Some simple checks:

Do you have the needle installed correctly (long groove on the needle should face the left hand side not towards the machine pulley) and thread going from the left through the needle?

Are you sure that you have the thread coming off the bobbin correctly (counter clockwise), tensioned properly for the bobbin thread size and installed correctly?

3 hours ago, BSmithy said:

I managed to come into possession of an old singer sewing machine that I believe is a 211G155 (that is what the plate says but some things aren't adding up on it).

What things are not adding up? The machine should have a thread range up to v138 thread, 135x17 for fabric or 135x16 for leather. Once you get the problems straighten out the Singer 211G155 is a nice machine and differs from the 211G156 in that it doesn't have reverse. This machine I think will do good on upholstery weight leather but will be seriously lacking for doing knife holsters.

3 hours ago, BSmithy said:

Anyways it has a miserable clutch motor on it that sort of runs, as in when you flip the power switch it turns on, but when you press down the pedal the pulley doesn't move and it makes a strange noise.

Could be that the actual clutch needs adjustment, is seized open or worn out.

kgg

On 6/2/2019 at 3:58 PM, dikman said:

Welcome to the forum, that machine is potentially a good choice (assuming it works ok). I would remove the motor (very heavy!!) and have a good look at the clutch mechanism to see if it's working properly and/or gunked up - although if you're going to fit a servo it's probably not worth the effort. I don't know anything about the one you listed but on the face of it looks ok.

Thread breaking - check the timing, bobbin feeding the correct direction, needle threaded the correct direction (if you go the wrong way it definitely causes all sorts of problems - I still do it occasionally!), tensions, threading path, needle scarf facing the right way. I'm sure others will chime in here.

Anyhow, while you are trying to get it stitching properly you don't need a motor as the best way is to handwheel it slowly to see what is happening.

So far everything about the machine seems to be fine. I did get the 35lb+ clutch off and have the much much lighter servo installed, looking into getting a new belt the other way has signs of age probably from the heat and dryness around here. I honestly don't know what was causing the thread to break, took out the bobbin cleaned around it a little bit and put it back in and it's sewing somewhat nicely now. I like my tension is a little messed up because it isn't completing a nice loop as it should, the top thread is being pulled down instead of meeting in the middle as it should. 

On 6/2/2019 at 4:05 PM, kgg said:

On 6/2/2019 at 4:05 PM, kgg said:

A little more info would help with your problem. What size thread are you using, what size of needle are you using, what are you trying to sew and pictures of the top thread path.

Some simple checks:

Do you have the needle installed correctly (long groove on the needle should face the left hand side not towards the machine pulley) and thread going from the left through the needle?

Are you sure that you have the thread coming off the bobbin correctly (counter clockwise), tensioned properly for the bobbin thread size and installed correctly?

What things are not adding up? The machine should have a thread range up to v138 thread, 135x17 for fabric or 135x16 for leather. Once you get the problems straighten out the Singer 211G155 is a nice machine and differs from the 211G156 in that it doesn't have reverse. This machine I think will do good on upholstery weight leather but will be seriously lacking for doing knife holsters.

Could be that the actual clutch needs adjustment, is seized open or worn out.

kgg

The needle had a number on it at one point but I can't make it out anymore, and the thread was just thick upholstery thread that was with the machine I don't know it's weight. So I have attached several pictures. The one is just simply 5 oz leather scrap I had, the one set of empty holes is from when it was breaking the thread, the other set is what it is currently doing. I apologize for the horrible pictures I didn't have the best lighting at the time. The other one was the bobbin and it's tangled up knots that it was doing before when it was breaking, it doesn't seem to do this on lower speeds now (might be a gunk build up issue). The needle is in correctly, the grove is going the right way, have triple checked the threading and the thread pulls just fine through the needle. Since I don't have a new belt that works I haven't tried sowing at speeds faster than I can turn the dial. However what isn't adding up, is I have manuals for both the 211G155 and ones for a U series if you take snippets from both manuals I can figure this machine out, but relying on solely one or the other things don't add up. For instance, I don't have a knob located on the left side that controls the oil flow and things like that. I don't know if it broke off or what. 

Also when I say knife holsters I don't mean heavy duty 10oz things, I use lighter weight leather because that is what I have access too currently and I am still practicing so I don't splurge on the heavyweight / higher priced stuff.

Thanks, everyone for their input slowly I am getting this machine figured out.

62045774_2468183766535769_2772952635735539712_n.jpg

62242504_597676897389016_7820859417057820672_n (1).jpg

62134571_896041087402662_9082442709490204672_n (1).jpg

62304531_358487984807549_5883741605063557120_n (1).jpg

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but this style of machine (with the vertical axis bobbin) pretty much requires that you hold on to the thread tails when you begin stitching for two or three stitches. Just hold back on the loose threads as you begin, and see if that helps with the bobbin tangles.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

The thread bird nesting on the underside of the leather is more than likely caused by incorrect needle tension. I would:

1. Looking at the photos I think the needle is really large for the thread by looking at the holes in the leather and how the thread really doesn't fill them. On the bottom of the thread spool there should be info as to what type and size the thread is and buy/install the correct size of needle for the thread. If the needle is to big for the thread it can and well affect the thread / stitch tension.

2. Recheck the thread path through the tension discs making sure the thread is well seated in between the discs. I would remove the top thread from the needle all the way back to the tension discs. Then lift and lock the presser foot in the up position to remove the tension on the tension discs and then hold the thread both side of the tension disc to ensure it is firmly seated between them. With the presser foot locked in the upper position the disc will be noticeably loose, not tight together this will allow the thread to be seat properly. If discs don't become loose they maybe tighten in to tight or maybe an internal release problem. While holding the thread tight on both sides of the tension discs unlock the presser foot which will cause the disc to close together on the thread. Re-thread through the needle, clean up any excess thread around bobbin and hand-wheel through to catch the thread.

3. Try hand-wheeling through a small seam while like Spark9 suggested holding the top and bottom threads for a couple of stitches.

kgg