arich

Looking for quality hardware

I'm specifically looking for swivel snaps/hooks in antique brass like these, made of solid brass or another strong metal -not zinc alloy. Buckleguy has what I'm looking for however the price seems a bit high. I'm wondering if anyone knows of another source?

230-0M-DOEB-LL01__90964.1480526289_1280_1280.thumb.jpg.1d0151023df697e6eb6d6c79af8db1ed.jpg

Edited by arich

Buckle Guy?

Ohio Travel Bag

Weaver Leather has sold some higher quality solid items, they are pricey compared to the cheap cast zinc or plated stuff, but nice - definitely a case of get what you pay for.

YinTx

Abbey England? Depending, of course, where you are located which would influence delivery costs.

Like gary said, Ohio Travel Bag is good. Generally, much better pricing than Buckleguy. Abbey England and Abas Fashion Accessories both look high quality, but a bit on the expensive side.

Edited by thisiszoness

brass is fine and good, but it will sometimes break if cold and dropped.  OR sometimes just dropped it will break.

i had a whole bunch and gave most of them them to a shop in Canada.  

you can look at what Weaver has.  Then start googling.   It looks like a #299 snap.   Weaver may have some Stainless steel snaps.  I know you want "antique" but i like SS since its stronger.

something you may want to consider is putting a location on your profile.  What i can buy locally you may not depending on where you  live.  Also many times people dont want to pay to have things shipped from around the world.

Edited by $$hobby

On 6/8/2019 at 12:52 PM, thisiszoness said:

Like gary said, Ohio Travel Bag is good. Generally, much better pricing than Buckleguy. Abbey England and Abas Fashion Accessories both look high quality, but a bit on the expensive side.

I found very limited selection on solid brass items at OTB.

6 hours ago, $$hobby said:

brass is fine and good, but it will sometimes break if cold and dropped.  OR sometimes just dropped it will break.

i had a whole bunch and gave most of them them to a shop in Canada.  

you can look at what Weaver has.  Then start googling.   It looks like a #299 snap.   Weaver may have some Stainless steel snaps.  I know you want "antique" but i like SS since its stronger.

something you may want to consider is putting a location on your profile.  What i can buy locally you may not depending on where you  live.  Also many times people dont want to pay to have things shipped from around the world.

I live in the southern USA so I doubt breakage will be much of a problem. I decided to lean towards brass for consistency purposes. 

I'm tired of not having matching hardware. There is always something I'm missing in the desired color of hardware on a project.

Also, I've never seen anyone scoff at the idea of using solid brass. Seems like a good selling point.

welcome,

Spend enough time around a barn or talk to a tack shop owner to see what they say.

i have 3 1 gal cans of broken brass hardware that ive collected over the years i was doing my leather repairs.

Its just isnt the cold that can cause brass to break, its just bad luck and how the brass hits the floor.   chances are you will get lucky and no problems but sometimes it will break.

Brass is cast.  Casting can have flaws in it depending on how its done.  If you want to learn something about what you are using, readup on casting of brass.

as far as not having matching hardware, i understand and is why i quit buying onesies and twosies of hardware.  I understand that $$$ is always the issue, but what i ended up doing was to buy 50+ pieces of each piece of hardware i would use.  Sometimes i would run down to my local leathershop and buy just what i needed for that job.  A week or so later i would need more and again buy what i needed.  So i decded to give in and buy more.  as i said 50+ of some items ore many even more.

If you have just started your business or work, you will eventually see a pattern in what is used and if you are lucky you can buy a box of it and it will be all you need.  But once someone sees your work and if its any good, you will get someone that wants something different.  Thats where you will end up buying some different hardware.  It never stops.  Its your choice and something you need to consider if you plan to go on.

i use to do ALOT of tack repair.   Mostly strap goods and there are mfg that use Brass and SS and some of the original stuff is cast zinc as you mention.  Ive had owners bring in their tack and have me replace ALL of the hardware to the same color.  If they got a new headstall with brass hardware, they would have me change any non brass to brass or the other way around.  some people loved the brass color so that was all they wanted and had.

some people wanted all SS since they new i had it and it didnt tarnish like brass.   

what you are finding out is why is made things from scratch.  I didnt go so far as to make hardware, but its something you will find out if you keep doing what you are doing and more people want your work.

something else you can look into if you want is to see if there is a way of "antiquing" brass hardware.  That way all you need to do is to keep the hardware on the shelf and do the antiquing when its needed.    

@$$hobby, I can appreciate all you are saying. However, I'm a hobbyist with no interest in building a business and I stear far and clear from tack and saddlery. 

I make totes, bags, wallets and such. I doubt I will run into any hard use experience like you are referring too.

It is definitely good information though, and thanks for sharing it.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:19 PM, bikermutt07 said:

@$$hobby, I can appreciate all you are saying. However, I'm a hobbyist with no interest in building a business and I stear far and clear from tack and saddlery. 

I make totes, bags, wallets and such. I doubt I will run into any hard use experience like you are referring too.

It is definitely good information though, and thanks for sharing it.

For what its worth Biker,

my reply was directed to the OP.  If i was going to address you, i would have put something like

@bikermutt07.

good luck in your hobby.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:51 PM, arich said:

I'm specifically looking for swivel snaps/hooks in antique brass like these, made of solid brass or another strong metal -not zinc alloy. Buckleguy has what I'm looking for however the price seems a bit high. I'm wondering if anyone knows of another source?

Can you tell us where you are located? then we might be able to advise you of a source near to you

2 hours ago, $$hobby said:

For what its worth Biker,

my reply was directed to the OP.  If i was going to address you, i would have put something like

@bikermutt07.

good luck in your hobby.

Apologies, guess I got hung up on one of those "it's all about me moments".

Sorry.

Cheers.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:51 AM, arich said:

230-0M-DOEB-LL01__90964.1480526289_1280_1280.thumb.jpg.1d0151023df697e6eb6d6c79af8db1ed.jpg

the price doesn't seem to be high at all.
I'm ready to pay for the quality. Seems, you aren't ))

OTB resells low quality metal stuff as SLC. Those items can be found on ebay on cheap prices.