Sign in to follow this  
wizard of tragacanth

Herman Oak Belt Blank -- what is up with this?

I didn't want to buy a side of leather to make one belt for a relative, so, I bought belt blank.  I have never used a belt blank before, always cut them myself.  So, I ordered a Herman Oak belt blank.  The drum dyed one. 

I was quite surprised when I saw it in person.  I was expecting a smooth finish but was rather, well... I don't know... grainy?  textured?  too perfect?  It is difficult to describe, so I included some pics.  I have never bought any leather that looked like this.  What is going on?

nick

small pic 2.JPG

small pic.JPG

Just one of the many 'grain' finishes available in leather. Your photos show this to have indentations [yes ?] a more popular 'grain' finish, especially for automobile [car] trim is a 'pebble' finish.

If you are not happy with this send it back and ask for what you specifically want, eg smooth grain. They probably just sent you one of the popular requests perhaps because you did not tell them what you wanted

I did not buy this from Herman Oak but ordered from another supplier.  It was listed as using a "special" leather from Herman Oak.  I just thought that they were saying that Herman Oak is "special" leather.  They did not mention any kind of texture.  I don't want to pay return shipping for a $17 item, so I will just use it.  Not happily though.  I will be more careful in the future.  I had no idea that HO would add a texture.  Seems crazy to me.  I was wondering if it was corrected grain.  It's ugly.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Adding a 'grain' pattern is very often used to cover up a poor or damaged top grain surface on some leathers. But not always, some suppliers of car trimming leather add the 'pebble' finish on high quality leather cos it looks good in a car and is sort-of traditional

Its caveat emptor - buyer beware - always specify what you want, ask questions.

I'm not dissing you, just discussing this with you.

If this was sold in the UK there may be case for it being returned at the seller's expense as they did not fully describe the top grain finish. We seem to have better laws protecting the buyers, and sellers too, than most of the rest of the world.