My experience is limited even though I have been messing around with leather for about 15 years.  Mostly, I build what I need for a knife or phone or something like that.  I've thought about building a holster but just never have.  I couldn't find a thumb break IWB holster that you could tuck your shirt in for my Glock 42 with the laserguard.  I have a kydex holster I bought for it but it doesn't have the thumb break to really secure the gun in there.  So I started this project a few weeks ago. 

My prototype is pretty plain-jane with some parts, like the thumb break stiffener and the metal frame that attaches the belt clip to the holster, I made from pieces in my garage.  So the first photos are the prototype.  It turned out to be exactly what I wanted, matter of fact, I have worn it every day since.  It is just a little sloppy with marker marks and fingernail digs in it from being careless making it and not staying on the line cutting etc.  So I am making some color variations of the same with some stamping and antiquing.  Just having fun with it.  I am just now learning to stitch with a pony and awl, which, when I can see, I do OK, but there are some crooked stitches and some stab marks where I missed the pricking fork mark by a mile.  Anyway, one is almost finished, the oxblood/antique with the clip.  Just needs some edge work.  The other two are getting there.  The British Tan one I think I got some bad antique paste.  It is kind of hard, lumpy and goes on like dried up axle grease.  I tried to get it back off as much as I could but that one is not pretty.  It literally looked like I did a brake job and then picked it up and played with it with greasy, dirty hands.  It was a combo of first coat of antique using British Tan, then a coat of dark brown antique paste, which was the weird one.  I should have known the consistency should be the same as the other antiques I bought.  Live and learn I guess.

Holster 1sm.jpg

Holster 2sm.jpg

Holster 3sm.jpg

new holsters 3sm.jpg

Oxblood 1sm.jpg

Well done!

Great work!    

Did you use edge paint on the bottom holster pic?  I have a tough time with the edge process.  I did bevel the edges but then after i saddled stitching, i ended up sanding the edges so there are even and now they are a little square.  Is an edge paint a good choice and if so, what goes over the edge paint as a sealant?  can i use gum-trag or beeswax?  

i am about 7 months new to leather making and just finished my first wet molding / first holster project.  figured why not kill two birds with one stone.  HA!   My blue gun ended up being my sons glock 19 air soft, since umarex makes both identical to each other.  The holster seems to function very well and i am quite happy with the process, but there are ton of flaws and things that will be changed moving forward.  

Thanks for any advise you can offer

holster 1.jpg

holster 2.jpg

Coo ul.  ;)

Progress is a good thing, eh?  I generally like a bit more form-fitting in my holsters, but certainly in an IWB it's not as critical.  I DO like the color of that last one.

22 hours ago, SickMick said:

Well done!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Roz0323 said:

Great work!    Thank you!  You are doing great, by the way.  Keep it up.  Learning this stuff is what makes it so fun!

Did you use edge paint on the bottom holster pic?  No, and actually I am not quite happy with the edges yet.  I'm going to re-smooth with sand paper or belt sander just a tad.  My process is to finish everything else on the project, then finish the edges.  Once I sand them smooth, I bevel the edges then I use Fiebings black pro dye on them.  Then I will wet the edges with gum trag and used a piece of deer antler to burnish them smooth and finally a coat or two of resolene on the entire project including the edges to seal it.  I just read the tutorial on edge burnishing yesterday and am going to test some pieces using that process with saddle soap and canvas material.  I'm hoping to improve the long term effect of burnishing, although I have had pretty good luck with my old process.    I have a tough time with the edge process.  I did bevel the edges but then after i saddled stitching, i ended up sanding the edges so there are even and now they are a little square.  Is an edge paint a good choice and if so, what goes over the edge paint as a sealant?  can i use gum-trag or beeswax?  

i am about 7 months new to leather making and just finished my first wet molding / first holster project.  figured why not kill two birds with one stone.  HA!   My blue gun ended up being my sons glock 19 air soft, since umarex makes both identical to each other.  The holster seems to function very well and i am quite happy with the process, but there are ton of flaws and things that will be changed moving forward.  Awesome job!  Keep it up!

Thanks for any advise you can offer

50 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Coo ul.  ;)

Progress is a good thing, eh?  I generally like a bit more form-fitting in my holsters, but certainly in an IWB it's not as critical.  I DO like the color of that last one.

Thank you!  I agree with the form fitting, but like you, with an IWB and a thumb break, I wasn't quite as concerned. 

holster 1.jpg

holster 2.jpg

I wish they made more airsoft replicas... I have a few but there's not many available. Lookin' good btw

I tried burnishing by the tutorial and actually I like using gum trag and deer antler better.  For me the results were better.  I'm used to it so that's probably a big reason the gum trag and deer antler gave me better results.