tshaulis

Looking for first Sewing Machine

As the title states, I'm looking for my fist sewing machine. I am looking for something that can handle holster so up to 7 to 8 oz. double layered in some spots. I do not have much in the budget to get a brand new one or a top notch Consew, Juki, or Singer. So second hand would be fine and somewhere around 300 is where I want to be. I am also fine with just a head from a table mounted. But most important it needs to be operational, or maybe a inexpensive part away from being operational. Any help would be awesome.

My opinion, tshaulis, save your money and buy a decent machine. Hand operated "heads" work ok, I believe, but in the end they are awkward and slow.  I've got a Cowboy 4500, it'll run you $1500 or a bit more. Not a "high quality" machine, but it is a good one for the serious hobby leather worker. Also, check out Springfield Leather, they sell some decent machines and have some good youtube video's that help with technique. Don't be afraid to call them, they'll help you make decisions about what will fit your work the best. Think about service, a sewing machine is a "mechanical device that will fail."   In the meantime, learn to hand sew. I still hand sew more than I machine sew, there's something to be said for a project that's totally handmade by YOU. The more you sew by hand, the better you will get and it won't take that long. Good luck!!

I think first off you need to up the budget up a fair bit to at least to the $1000 mark. For holster type work a cylinder bed would probably be your best purchase. As you are a first time buyer I would recommend that you buy preferably new or good used from a real brick and mortar store for service /support/ warranty unless you able to do repairs yourself. Yes, there are sometimes good second hand deals out here but you need to know what you are looking at with regards to overall condition, availability of  accessories and replacement parts. Keep in mind that all machines at some point are going to need to be repaired. Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

18 hours ago, SilentBobcat said:

My opinion, tshaulis, save your money and buy a decent machine. Hand operated "heads" work ok, I believe, but in the end they are awkward and slow.  I've got a Cowboy 4500, it'll run you $1500 or a bit more. Not a "high quality" machine, but it is a good one for the serious hobby leather worker. Also, check out Springfield Leather, they sell some decent machines and have some good youtube video's that help with technique. Don't be afraid to call them, they'll help you make decisions about what will fit your work the best. Think about service, a sewing machine is a "mechanical device that will fail."   In the meantime, learn to hand sew. I still hand sew more than I machine sew, there's something to be said for a project that's totally handmade by YOU. The more you sew by hand, the better you will get and it won't take that long. Good luck!!

I'd say the cowboy 4500 is a high quality machine, if it wasn't then it wouldn't be $1500+. I actually buy leather from Springfield Leather, I will have to check out their machines. Thank you for that tip. I hand sew right now, I'm fine with it but I know I could produce a finer product if I had a machine.

18 hours ago, kgg said:

I think first off you need to up the budget up a fair bit to at least to the $1000 mark. For holster type work a cylinder bed would probably be your best purchase. As you are a first time buyer I would recommend that you buy preferably new or good used from a real brick and mortar store for service /support/ warranty unless you able to do repairs yourself. Yes, there are sometimes good second hand deals out here but you need to know what you are looking at with regards to overall condition, availability of  accessories and replacement parts. Keep in mind that all machines at some point are going to need to be repaired. Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Thank you for your input.

You won't necessarily produce a better product with a machine.  You will get a more consistent product with much less effort and time involved.

Todd

19 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

You won't necessarily produce a better product with a machine.  You will get a more consistent product with much less effort and time involved.

Todd

There is also the fun factor!  Something about watching that needle and thread going through the leather - I find it very satisfying!:P 

On 6/4/2019 at 5:39 PM, SilentBobcat said:

The 4500 is $2600! Or, if you can provide a link for $1500 I will buy one!

https://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb4500.html

Apologies to all reading this, the machine has gone way up in price since I purchased my Cowboy. Keep watching the Toledo site, maybe a sale coming up? They run ads in The Leathercrafters Journal, that's where I originally saw them.

16 minutes ago, SilentBobcat said:

Keep watching the Toledo site, maybe a sale coming up?

I wouldn't whole your breathe on any sales in the near future of any Chinese made products with the 25% tariff which will probably affect the products new base price. I guess the amount of any dollar increase to the imported cost will be reflected in what price the distributor / dealer needs to increase the price by. I think the tariff is based on what the manufacturer sells the product for to a distributor / dealer. If an items sells for $1000 now and the price goes up by $125 at the 25 % tariff rate then you know the actual cost of the item at the point of entry is $500. If the price goes up $250 you know you are being ripped. For some products the cost increase will be small while others will be more significant, it will all depend on what the Chinese manufacturers selling price is.

kgg

On 6/4/2019 at 9:51 AM, tshaulis said:

As the title states, I'm looking for my fist sewing machine. I am looking for something that can handle holster so up to 7 to 8 oz. double layered in some spots. I do not have much in the budget to get a brand new one or a top notch Consew, Juki, or Singer. So second hand would be fine and somewhere around 300 is where I want to be. I am also fine with just a head from a table mounted. But most important it needs to be operational, or maybe a inexpensive part away from being operational. Any help would be awesome.

welcome,

something you may want to consider doing before you go opening up your wallet.

Look for any shops, tradeshows and such that will have ANY sewing machine that will suit your needs or requirements.

Then Ask to try and play with the machines.  Take some of the leather you think you will be sewing and see how the machine runs with with you plan to do and use.  Bring along a note pad so you can jot down some notes if your memory isnt so good.

Figure out before you buy if you want Reverse or ZigZag or any other feature.  What size threads do you plan to use?  Have you considered anything like that?   Some machines have larger bobbins too.  The way you dont have to reload so often.

alot of things to consider before you spend your money.  

FWIW, i had done the cheap route and bought 200 ~600 buck machines thinking they would work and so forth.  For somethings they did but for the most part they didnt and eventually i would always need something with more pressor foot height.  that is another one you need to consider.   In the end i just bought a real machine that would do the job and then some.