Sign in to follow this  
KAY9

Vietnam Vet checkbook/wallet

This is my first attempt at working with leather. I've taken no classes; I'm kind-of learning as I go. The mistakes are many, the imperfections are obvious, & the room for improvement is vast. I know this much...but nonetheless, it didn't turn out completely terrible..did it? I made this checkbook cover for my 78 year old Vietnam veteran father. I told him I wasn't entirely happy with it, but he insisted the imperfections are what makes it perfect in his eyes. I'm aware not everyone will be as kind as him (after all, he is partial), but I want to get better at the craft. With that being said, what am I doing wrong with my beveling? The Hi-Lite I applied to outline the crossed cannons just didn't turn out right. The beveling tool I used is B197. Do I need to use a different tool? Or am I just doing it wrong? Thanks for taking a look!

20190531_150249 - Edited (2).jpg

Welcome to the forum and to the world of leatherworking!

Here's what I think I see in your bevelling (without getting a closeup view):

image.png.06e1bc1ca6a6429a66fd304e35b3a86b.png

Letter A is a side view of a beveller used to make a "trough." It's a common problem beginners have as they don't quite understand what the tool is supposed to do. See how there is no "relief", how both sides of the line are equal height? 

Letter B is what you want-- the beveller is used to push down the leather to make a gradual slope, which fades out away from the design element. This makes the design stand out from the surface of the leather. 

Want to see it in real life? Take a quick view here: 

Doing the bevelled lines right will help the antiquing work correctly. 

You can also check out this video, by a resident leatherworker here on the forum, who does some fantastic work:

Excellent! Thank you DJole. Much appreciated. Off to YouTube I go! 

Hi KAY9, Welcome aboard! What DJOLE said. The angle determines the width and depth of the bevel. IMO a more narrow bevel looks sharper, depending on the project. But the main thing is practice , practice , practice. It is all new to you and you finished your first project . If you are honest and look at what you have done , you have to say wow did I really make that! Be proud of what you have accomplished. And no it did not turn out terrible!  We can't wait to see your next project, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the boost of confidence, rleather! I will indeed practice, practice, practice.

Kay9, I've really struggled to reply...or not, because I'm no expert but I am opinionated. Here goes... Your grandpa is RIGHT ON about mistakes. To take this a step further, as you perfect your leathercraft, most mistakes will be seen by only YOU. Keep practicing and like everything, you will improve with each repetition. As you improve, the mistakes make the piece your own, special and unique. Every single handmade item ever made has mistakes and this is your "signature" of handmade quality. 

I believe some of your uncertainty is that you took on a fairly complex  project for your first try. As stated in other comments, you've done some very nice work with this and many of the mistakes you already know about. My two best advice comments: 1) Simplify.  2) Don't allow your designs to be too "busy." Both comments are related, but not the exact same thing. Keep working and practicing, you are good and on your way to be excellent!

SilentBobcat, you're absolutely right.

Halfway into it I realized "wow this may have been a little bit ambitious for a first time project". But I had this vision in mind (inspired by a patch I saw on a motorcycle jacket) & I literally took a swivel knife & some tools & went to work. I should have given way more thought & consideration to planning a proper layout (or any layout at all!) I'm sure that would have eliminated half my problems, design wise. The other half is likely from lack of experience & patience. I hope to grow in those areas on future projects.

I like working on projects that allow me to be creative & artistic.

I also like hammering, banging, & cutting on things.

So working with leather is naturally great fun for me.