Hello, I've recently started on this very satisfying hobby, and attached below, was my very first project

IMG_20180523_172159.thumb.jpg.e80fc598ed5d46800f70bc6d9b1dd197.jpg

I was too cheap to buy one so decided to make one using repurposed "leather", I had a key holder that I was not using. Someone gave me a metal card holder, so I used that

Edited by kirbytorres

This is what it looked inside

IMG_20180524_173245.thumb.jpg.be6a2895f6d9b977bd58ff2e2f98470a.jpg

My 2nd project - checkbook cover

IMG_20180815_085201.thumb.jpg.bbc62cbcef921f14d14d32867b2b7265.jpg

Hey... keep going Kirby!  Your stitches look pretty good on the checkbook cover.  IMO, the corners are too square.  Also, you may want to learn how to sand and burnish the edges.  Burnishing the edges would definitely take this project up a notch.  On your next project, consider burnishing the flesh side before assembling the pieces.  It could be done on this project but not as easily.  On this project, just round off the corners, sand and burnish the edges.  Well, that's what I would do anyway.

To round the corners, start by cutting off just the tip... one cut at a 45° angle.  Don't take off too much, just a little, then round them with sandpaper, 120 grit or finer.

nick

looks great!    that check book cover has a great color to it especially with the white saddle stitch.  

Keep it up 

4 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Hey... keep going Kirby!  Your stitches look pretty good on the checkbook cover.  IMO, the corners are too square.  Also, you may want to learn how to sand and burnish the edges.  Burnishing the edges would definitely take this project up a notch.  On your next project, consider burnishing the flesh side before assembling the pieces.  It could be done on this project but not as easily.  On this project, just round off the corners, sand and burnish the edges.  Well, that's what I would do anyway.

To round the corners, start by cutting off just the tip... one cut at a 45° angle.  Don't take off too much, just a little, then round them with sandpaper, 120 grit or finer.

nick

Hello Nick

I've read that oil-tanned leather cannot be burnished, but will try it here. 

Will try your suggestions on rounding out the edges and post the results here

Thanks

Kirby

2 hours ago, Roz0323 said:

looks great!    that check book cover has a great color to it especially with the white saddle stitch.  

Appreciate that, thanks

7 hours ago, kirbytorres said:

Hello Nick

I've read that oil-tanned leather cannot be burnished, but will try it here. 

Will try your suggestions on rounding out the edges and post the results here

Thanks

Sorry Kirby, my mistake.  I am a "beginner" myself.  I thought that you were using veg tan for that project.  I have only used veg tan, so you may be right!  I should keep my big mouth shut! :blush:

It does look pretty good. As for burnishing or finishing edges of oil tanned or chrome tanned leather ... I use edge paint.

Apply the paint and let it dry, then sand it smooth and apply again. Keep applying and sanding with finer and finer sand paper until you get the finish you want.

Will try that edge paint thing, thanks