bermudahwin

Lots of threads on whats in new dyes and why the old ones were better...

:crazy:IDIOT WARNING

I had one small jar of very old, but lovely, Feibings Cordovan, from late 70's early 80's that was still doing ok... You know, all of the qualities we hark on about in old dyes, not being in new dyes.

Apparently, last Friday, I must have bumped the bench and it fell onto the bench top, between my cutting board and my granite block, unnoticed.

I saw it just now, and picked it up, to find the lid had damaged and I now have a very dark cordovan patch on my work bench... not a problem, but no old dye left is a bit of a downer. AND I picked up the bottle, and as its an untreated MDF top (quick, cheap and easy to replace) it had soaked in under it and went all over my hands.  Anyhoo.... hints on getting the really good, penatrative dyes out from fingernails and cuticles would be appreciated, I look like the a scout for the zombie apocolypse. 

Now for a good tip, pumice stone works well on bare skin. So I have very clean fingers and very dark red nails and cuticles. Have buffed the outsides, but it look like I've not washed my nails for months.

H

PS which is the best oxblood / cordovan available nowadays, please?

Well.... The dye will wear off with time.   Fingernail beds and cuticles are difficult, but about the best dye remover that I've found is Dye-Gone II if you can find it.

- Bill

Thanks Bill,

It seems to be £38 (yes GB pounds) a bottle here, so even if it does work, and I don't doubt you on that, I think I'll keep the what appears to be a wound on the workbench, and let the fingers sort themselves out, unless its not gone by the Christening I have to attend later in the month.

H

Sometimes good old fashion gasoline will remove such things from your hands/fingers. Wash well afterwards with soap and water. Remember, No Smoking.

kgg

If you can get "Vanish oxy-action"..or "Vanish gold"..powder mix some up in a small bowl and sit with your fingers dipped in ( take them out from time to time as it attacks skin, makes it "friable" and white, and it stings a bit.. like the stuff for removing verrucas..it isn't the same stuff, but the effects are similar on skin..

Or the liquid equivalent from the super market sold as pre wash topical stain remover for clothes..do the same..pour into a small bowl..dip your fingers in..take them out after 30 seconds, repeat as necessary..

They are all the same chemical base..peroxide..so have the "bleaching action" like chlorine..but less aggressive, and without the smell.. You may already have some in the laundry room.

Mrs HWinBermuda has Vanish and others in her chemical store, and as I am trying to clean my fingers to make a family photo album, I should get access rights, with the correct chitty.

22 minutes ago, mikesc said:

like the stuff for removing verrucas

For our US cousins... "plantar warts" are called verruccas in the UK.

In US Virgin Islands I was telling a pharmacist about a verrucca and she was so baffled, she said "what like Verrucca Salt?". Now it was my turn to be weirded as I had only just come to terms with Kosher Salt (Salt in UK) and Verrucca Salt was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I did not make the connection.  A kindly gent, in his 80s was laughing as he became our translator.

Edited by hwinbermuda

I read

with the correct chitty.

in Willium Cobblers / "mate's" voice..voiced by Peter Sellers..

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s07e04_the_macreekie_rising_of_74
does it also say that you are "excused cabers" ? :)

I have many of the goons episodes on ether 33s or tape or mps..I think I'll just dig a few out, takes me back to when I was a kid and listening to them on the wireless...30 minutes of bliss :))

Edited by mikesc

"Thinks" can you hijack your own thread?

Of course you can "You silly Twisted Boy, you... Have a gorilla?", "No thanks, I've just put one out

"Enter Bluebottle, waits for audience applause... not a sausage" but then "I am the famous Eccles" but "I've not been deaded", now where is Little Jim?  All together now... "He's fallen in the water".

Goons was must listen to, and learn and quote, ad nauseum, in our house, it was sublime, and Navy Lark, and Round the Horn, "Hi I'm Sandy..." who used Polari, which included many Romani words I grew up with, so understood more than perhaps a 12 year old should have.

Still listen to the wireless for comedy, but decent comedy is rare now. 

Milligan was a genius, and I still shout at baffled UK crows in Norfolk from Puckoon, when "Caw" says the crow, "Balls" says the Milligan. 

"Where did you get that accent?" "Eton, Old Sausage" "Well stop eating old sausage" 

There, its too late to start that album now. I'll do a belt instead, but we may, just may "all be murdered in our Tigers"

:offtopic: but who gives a fig?

H

I am pretty lost, probably not a new thing.  But, have you tried 90% denatured alcohol?  Gasoline has benzenes in it along with other baddies, which you might like to avoid, even if it does work.  If it hasn't grown out or been bleached out or whatever by the time it needs to be, perhaps a bit of fingernail polish in the right colors could be of use to mask the issue?  :)

YinTx

Oh, was going to mention, you can sometimes find old bottles of dyes on Ebay...

YinTx

39 minutes ago, YinTx said:

I am pretty lost, probably not a new thing.  But, have you tried 90% denatured alcohol? 

Denatured did not work, but have got most of it gone.

Don't be lost, Mike and I had gone off topic to a 1950s comedy radio show, in the UK, and also I explained ref Plantar Warts,

Thanks for the suggestion.

H

If you can't remove the dye, cover your fingers up with sticky plasters.

a. they cover up nicely

b. you get loads of sympathy

c. sometimes [not guaranteed] you get loads of drinks bought for you at functions

No-one noticed that the 'blood' on my fingers was purple

@hwinbermuda Why not take this opportunity to enjoy a bit of a manicure with cover polish? Your cuticles will thank you and although I dont "do" manicures- I will tell you from having a daughter its loads of relaxation if done properly (Drink in hand- mate!)

The date night for the wife is usually a foot scrub or mani/pedicure night- with dinner and a night out  after.

Just a thought- spoil yourself a bit- great excuse to drink some wine and relax! (Although I prefer a Burbon on the rocks or a Jack+coke-Lemon)

Edited by SilverForgeStudio

A strong acetone based nail polish remover has worked for me to clean up fingers 

10 hours ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

Edited by SilverForgeStudio

Thank you SF, I quote the edited, as the information that is forthcoming is, well, copious, to say the least, and I am really trying NOT to imagine what you edited out. :blush:

JD would be my choice in USA, but I am Bermuda Black Rum, Scotch and Vodka (not together) over here, but getting Tito's is very hard and expensive.

52 minutes ago, HaloJones said:

A strong acetone based nail polish remover has worked for me to clean up fingers  

Thanks HJ

That's what I ended up using, but I still like Fredk's sympathy kick :thumbsup:

H

Edited by hwinbermuda
To stop looking too much like an alcoholic.

HA! Edited out nothing... added my JD Coke Lemon!

27 minutes ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

HA! Edited out nothing... added my JD Coke Lemon!

And I have just finished my 2nd last bottle of Tito's in a bloody mary, last one is in the pantry. Now that is real nice vodka.

Just looked at your profile, because your info line says Opel Mok.

If that's an Opel Mokka X we may have more than hairstyle, drinks choice and leatherwork in common... getting freaky niow :evillaugh:

Titos is very smooth- Dont get it often- but it is good!

If I had a Mokka X it WOULD definitely be an oddity worthy of the Twilight Zone... but sadly- I drive a crumped up old small Mazda B3000... 

The Mok I refer to is a person- Here is his blog: http://asailorsleather.blogspot.com/ 

His name is Opel Mok- I was a part of a Yahoo Group called FLASAH (almost defunct now) and he posted a lot there. Good fellow and crafty to boot! He was an Al Stohlman student and I appreciate his use of ray/snake skins. 

If you're ever in Virginia Beach or Norfolk, VA  Ill buy the first round of mojitos or Bloody Marys! Coffee is always on in the shop and if the trucks home- I am too!