Seagrove59

Bag Question

I am in the process of making a weekend market bag (my name for it), two parts I am seeking advise on.

1/ I put a band around the top and am wondering on how I could avoid/hide the gap that is produced. Photo attached.

2/ is there any sort of formula as to determine a handle length, I assume if used she will be putting it over her shoulder. Did some research and it recommends a 12” to 20” length. Before I cut want to see f there is some other formula. Bag is 14” long by 15” tall.

I am self taught, so any advice/direction would be appreciated. 

FAAC4FE3-35A9-422F-A9A5-9765DB01A7AF.jpeg

Good Morning. Your bag is looking good. 

I would try covering your inside seams first, then turning your top piece over those edges. Would also suggest skiving the edges before even making the seam. If you can't or don't want to do the whole seam at least do the ends. This will make it less bulky and easier to sew over. 

As for the length of the strap, it is mostly personal preference. Take into consideration the bulk of a jacket for ease of use as (especially where you live)  well as how far down it will hang if holding it in her hand. Don't want it too close to the ground.