Hello everyone. Let me start by saying that I am with no question a GREEN HORN.   just about finished with a umarex glock 19 holster. It is my first holster and my first wet molding project.   there are ton of flaws and things that i will change moving forward but all in all it seems to function great.  snug fit, locks into place and the 7 oz is rock hard.  
 I have some questions about the edges.    i originally beveled the edges but then after stitching i ended up sanding them in order to even everything out. (the pics are prior to sanding)  Now the edges are a little square.  I would like to use a red edge paint.  

is my next step to apply paint then sand and reapply more paint?  In between do I use canvas? 

After the coats are applied, do i still seal the edge paint with beeswax and burnish?  

There are so many options so i am trying to get a formula broken down to layman’s terms.

side question!-   would obenaufs soften the leather too much as an exterior finish? 

Thank you for the assistance.

holster 2.jpg

holster 1.jpg

There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show how people do edge paint. Also if you haven’t tried it yet use the search function on this site and it should bring up a bunch of posts on edge paint. Don’t burnish smooth before you paint though the leather needs a “tooth” for the paint to grip to.

I use Giardini edge paints and they are the most durable I have found.  I sand edges smooth, apply a base coat of Giardini Base Coat, then start painting with the edge paint, sanding between coats to remove any wrinkles.  Once it is finished, I sometimes put a coat of wax on it, but really doesn’t require any additional burnishing or finishing once you are happy with the finish.

Gary

I use Uinter’s edge paint and primer from rmleathersupply.com. My process for veg tan is as follows:

1) sand and even up the edges w/ 150 grit sanding belt

2) bevel edges and apply 1 coat of Uinter’s  primer and let dry for 20 min

3) apply 1st coat of edge paint and let dry for 20-30 min

4) buff knock down uneven spots with 500 grit sand paper (can be found @ Walmart or any auto parts store’s paint and detailing section)

5) apply second coat of edge paint

After this you can leave it as is or apply 80/20 beeswax/paraffin on the edges and burnish with a waxed canvas cloth. 

Happy Leather crafting! Stick with it, the name of the game is trial and error so do what brings YOU the best results.

C17DA051-EC06-406F-8CC1-1FD484131130.jpeg

Thank you for the detailed instructions.  I will absolutely use your method.