fourth piece.  I made this for my . it took many late nights to complete.  made it so it can be a pack or shoulder bag.  now I need to learn how to make adjustable straps,  burnish like a pro and of course keep my lines straight.     leather is my yoga and I should've started years ago.  

bag 2.jpg

bag 3.jpg

bag.jpg

Hey that's pretty neat! Love the leather

Thank you!!   

31 minutes ago, Roz0323 said:

fourth piece.  I made this for my . it took many late nights to complete.  made it so it can be a pack or shoulder bag.  now I need to learn how to make adjustable straps,  burnish like a pro and of course keep my lines straight.     leather is my yoga and I should've started years ago.  

bag 2.jpg

bag 3.jpg

bag.jpg

24 minutes ago, GDH said:

Hey that's pretty neat! Love the leather

Thank you!!  I like a matte finish personally but i  would like to do some sort of super hi sheen on a peice, for comparison. I finished it with Obenaufs.  Cheers!

Nice job! Only criticism is that it will be hard on your shoulder or hand when carrying with the single strap as shown in your last photo.  The two clips are clipped together in the center.  Maybe make an extra strap to use when carrying like this.

I agree that playing with leather is like yoga - relieves my stress!

Gary

9 minutes ago, garypl said:

Nice job! Only criticism is that it will be hard on your shoulder or hand when carrying with the single strap as shown in your last photo.  The two clips are clipped together in the center.  Maybe make an extra strap to use when carrying like this.

I agree that playing with leather is like yoga - relieves my stress!

Gary

And this is exactly why i signed up to leathermaker.net.. !! THANK YOU!!     perfect idea that I would have never thought of on my own.   Third strap is on it's way!. 

also..  I've heard people use gum trag on the flesh side of leather to lay it down.  Does the gum trag wear off or stain clothing?  Maybe its only intended to on pieces that do not have a lot of friction on them or is there  a better option to lay down the flesh side?   

3 minutes ago, Roz0323 said:

And this is exactly why i signed up to leathermaker.net.. !! THANK YOU!!     perfect idea that I would have never thought of on my own.   Third strap is on it's way!. 

also..  I've heard people use gum trag on the flesh side of leather to lay it down.  Does the gum trag wear off or stain clothing?  Maybe its only intended to on pieces that do not have a lot of friction on them or is there  a better option to lay down the flesh side?   

I have used gum trag to smooth out a rough flesh side on small projects, but on larger projects (e.g., bigger than a wallet) I prefer to line the project - just looks much nicer.  I have never noticed gum trag rubbing off or staining anything, but if you dye the flesh side first, i would check on a scrap piece to see how much dye rubs off.  Personally, I like to always seal leather when it is dyed.

Have fun!

Gary

To "burnish" the flesh side use a good thick piece of plate glass- I was able to get a scrap from a local commercial window company- its 3/8 thick and has the clear rounded edge (You do not want to get the "Frosted" edge pieces).

there are several tutorials about it- search glass burnisher on LW (this website) and youtube.

For Adjustable straps that are "traditional"- look into Conway buckles- Harry Rodgers on Youtube has a good breakdown on them. I use these on my aprons with adjustable necklines and shoulder straps

Im not very good at it- to be honest- but then again I just line a lot of my things- hope this helps and nice bag!