Sign in to follow this  
punitor1

Best Juki LS 341 Clone?

Hi everyone, 

I am very tired of messing around with my assortment of industrial sewing machines for a garment leather product that I make on a regular basis and I am ready to invest in a better cylinder machine.  I mostly sew 2-4 layers of 2.5-3oz garment leather using #69-92 bonded nylon thread.  I know I want reverse, a large bobbin and I have a need for an assortment of feet with offset edge guides (I cannot use a standard roller guide  because I usually have at least some lapped seams with top stitching).  After doing a ton of research I have talked myself into a Juki 341 clone,  it seems to fill most of my needs. 

But which clone?  There are at least three major brands that I have found: the Cowboy CB-341, the Cobra Class 26 and the Techsew 2750.  They all look like good machines, although I would rather have a U shaped table then the space saver that comes standard with the Cobra for my needs.  They all come with or have a speed reducer available as standard option (which I do want).  The spec's seem to differ a bit depending on which brand is tuning them and setting them up but my needs fall within the specs of all three brands.  I would like to be able to buy one locally (Central Maine) but I don't think that's really an option - although I will be driving to NYC the end of this month if anyone knows a dealer in that area?

So, what does everyone have to say, whats the best brand to buy for a Juki 341 clone?  Or, maybe more importantly who should I buy one from? - I have never bought a new machine before.

Thanks,

Travis

I think all 3 of these machines are made in the same factory in China.  You might give W.S. Bessett a call and ask for Mickey.  They are in Maine.   I just purchased a used 1341 Juki from him.  This is a newer and better version of the 341.

glenn

I went through the same thing that you are going through now when I was looking for a new flatbed machine. I knew what I wanted that would do most of my stuff. What to buy, clone or ? Test drove a couple of the clones, then tried the Juki and with no hesitation bought the new Juki 1541S for less money then what one of the clone dealers wanted. I would check with the brick / mortar dealers, compare the warranties, shipping costs and price for a new clone. Then do the same comparison for a Juki for both new and used. The new Juki in that class of machine I would expect the price difference to be significant however I would take a good used reconditioned Juki from a dealer over a new clone any day.

When you finally narrow it down to a couple of machines take a trip to those dealers with a sample of your stuff in hand. I drove 4 hours each way to get my machine. Yes it will add to the cost but it is better and cheaper in the long run to get the right machine the first time around hopefully it is going to be a long term investment. Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

I agree that DNU-1451 series price genuine vs. clone is close enough to consider both at least if you will.

However, the price difference between the Juki LS-1341 and clones...can be substantial enough to consider a clone in this case here.

7 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

I think all 3 of these machines are made in the same factory in China.  You might give W.S. Bessett a call and ask for Mickey.  They are in Maine.   I just purchased a used 1341 Juki from him.  This is a newer and better version of the 341.

glenn

Thanks for your reply Glenn,  I agree, I am sure they all come from the same factory in china (a quick search on alibaba shows that you can buy one direct for $400-500 plus freight but that's pretty risky for my taste).  I did not know about W.S Bessett.  I will give them a call and see what they have.  I have looked at the 1341 as well and I don't mind buying used if it's in good condition.  Have you used both a 341 and 1341?  If so, do you think it's worth the extra money for a 1341?

6 hours ago, kgg said:

I went through the same thing that you are going through now when I was looking for a new flatbed machine. I knew what I wanted that would do most of my stuff. What to buy, clone or ? Test drove a couple of the clones, then tried the Juki and with no hesitation bought the new Juki 1541S for less money then what one of the clone dealers wanted. I would check with the brick / mortar dealers, compare the warranties, shipping costs and price for a new clone. Then do the same comparison for a Juki for both new and used. The new Juki in that class of machine I would expect the price difference to be significant however I would take a good used reconditioned Juki from a dealer over a new clone any day.

When you finally narrow it down to a couple of machines take a trip to those dealers with a sample of your stuff in hand. I drove 4 hours each way to get my machine. Yes it will add to the cost but it is better and cheaper in the long run to get the right machine the first time around hopefully it is going to be a long term investment. Buy Once, Cry Once.

kgg

Thanks KGG, it is tempting to buy a Juki, if I could find a used one in good shape at a fair price it would be an easy sell.  I am afraid a new one is more then I can justify.  There is one on ebay LS-1341 right now for 2,400 + freight - which seems reasonable, but I hesitate to buy a used machine like this on ebay without being able to inspect it in person.  - https://www.ebay.com/itm/JUKI-LS-1341-CYLINDER-BED-WALKING-FOOT-REVERSE-110VOLT-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINE-/133026812345?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

5 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

I agree that DNU-1451 series price genuine vs. clone is close enough to consider both at least if you will.

However, the price difference between the Juki LS-1341 and clones...can be substantial enough to consider a clone in this case here.

Thanks for your reply Gregg,  Yes, that is what I have found.  The OEM Juki LS-1341 seems to retail for around $4,800 new, which is hard for me to justify.

1 hour ago, punitor1 said:

Thanks KGG, it is tempting to buy a Juki, if I could find a used one in good shape at a fair price it would be an easy sell.

As shoepatcher said check out the dealer (W.S Bessett) and there maybe other dealers near you. I would be wary of ebay and agree buying from Alibaba could be risky as well. The difference between the clones and a Juki are significant cost wise for a new machine but for a used one it maybe closer to that of a new clone. I would still take a used Juki from a dealer over a new clone.

Another factor is about to come into play regarding the prices of Chinese vs Japanese built sewing machines. The Chinese machines now have a 25% tariff applied at the port of entry, Japanese machines have much lower tariffs that are not about to go up. As the prices of Chinese clones rises due to tariffs, the Japanese prices will likely stay put. The difference may zero out soon, making a JP built machine a better deal all around.

Wish we had someone with a set so maybe some manufacturer would eventually get the idea to open up in North America. I would rather pay extra for something that puts money in the pockets of North American workers. I wonder how the Chinese clones that come into Canada, relabelled and shipped to the US will be affected???

kgg

The selling point on this 1341 was that it has a 9mm maximum stitch length where as the 341 was 6mm.

glenn

Merrow is still manufacturing in the US, not like they used to but they are still doing stuff worldwide.  I'm not quite sure about where Union Special is being made at.  I can't think of much else off the top of my head as I type this.  

9 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

The selling point on this 1341 was that it has a 9mm maximum stitch length where as the 341 was 6mm.

glenn

Are you referring to the genuine Juki LS-1341 series?  As per spec, all four subclass machines max out at 6mm forward/reverse stitch length.

However, there are some knock offs with 8mm, say Typical GC2263-1 is one of them.

Hope this helps add to the conversation here.

JukiLS-1340SeriesSpecs.jpg

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

11 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Another factor is about to come into play regarding the prices of Chinese vs Japanese built sewing machines. The Chinese machines now have a 25% tariff applied at the port of entry, Japanese machines have much lower tariffs that are not about to go up. As the prices of Chinese clones rises due to tariffs, the Japanese prices will likely stay put. The difference may zero out soon, making a JP built machine a better deal all around.

True story.  However, many Japanese machine are still far more expensive, even with 25% increase, depending on model

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

I would look further into your leads as of now, I think your onto a good lead. 

If its in the continental 48 and uses paypal.  They work pretty good for the buyer as I understand. But I haven't had an issue.

In any case, each brand name has its professional record to establish. So here we mention Juki.

Im not sure how many factories are now! and have been filled for the last thirty years with other than Juki. I will easily say the Europeans I guess to use many Durkopp Adlers,  while some other parts of the world use Seiko. 

These names have obviously, metaphorically very big shoulders, in that they have proven themselves daily!!! In factories throughout the world.

So when they have newer designs we should look to them. Additionally I always keep an eye out for their equipment in the succession for any interest. 

Im happy with ebay, if theres an option elsewhere still using a payment option as pay pal all the better and great.

I believe they stick to the sale as I understand, as long as one sticks with them.  There are some articles on tips using these on the site here, regarding transfer of responsibility. 

Other than buying new from a dealer, I found myself when using online, my sense of security needed to have adequate insurance coverage on such a shipped item. This is seldom seen on person to person ebay types, as the standard is minimal coverage amount. Fyi, meaning up the coverage is likely required when above a 100$

So, if you can do it, pick the newest design in the industry, second opinion is the newest in a branded name.

With this machine foundation no matter ones time on it, we can base a consistency and reputation.  Knowing we all have to start somewhere, Experience Matters, Testing and performance results are to be respected. 

Lets not sit that tested reputation of machinery aside so dam easily. 

Have a god day

Floyd

I know I'm a little late to the conversation but I thought you might want the input.  I was in the same market as you about a year ago.  I have a Ferdco Pro 2000 that also still has the Juki 441 badges.  I have also owned a few Singers, some big ASN shoe machines, and a very nice flatbed walking foot Durkopp Adler in the past (and stupidly sold it).  I needed another mid range machine to fit between my 441 and my 31-15 and knew I didn't want to limit myself to a flat bed machine.  The cost of a Juki was more than I wanted to spend.  I preferred the 341 to the 2700.  I also looked at the Techsew, but the shipping made the cost a bit more for me and I really wanted to test the machine in person first.  So instead of ordering online, I made the trip to see Cowboy Bob at Toledo and let him demo the CB-341 and then I spend a little time on it myself.  I was very happy with it and took it home.  It's actually become my favorite machine.  Absolutely love it.