Vmiranda

My first pair of shoes

I made these with the assistance of the lovely ladies at I Can Make Shoes in London it was a 3 day course. They are remarkably comfortable and I love them so much. I recently ordered two last sets and I’m excited to make more shoes. 

46428EF3-8243-4977-A715-F0F8004910BC.jpeg

They look professionally made. Good job

Can you share any details about the leather, finish used, tools used or hardware and soles?

Good to hear the course was worth it; I am doing the flat shoe course in August :)

and nice job on the shoes 

18 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

They look professionally made. Good job

Can you share any details about the leather, finish used, tools used or hardware and soles?

Thank you! They use cow & pig skin to make shoes but also fabric as some people prefer not to use animal skins. They were actually fairly easy to make. We drafted our patterns off lasts, transferred to paper. Then cut the pieces & sewed together. We lined the footbeds in foam with suede lining. Stretched and fit back over the lasts. They also use a cork filler before adherence of the bottom sole.  Then screwed on the heels with a power drill. Before putting footbed in. They use normal Janome machines, not industrial. The lady who founded it went to school for shoe making & so did all her employees. Honestly not a whole lot of tools besides a beveler, scissors, tape, glue, cork filler, leather, foam, and the sewing machine. I’m actually trying to go back & take more classes soon.

16 hours ago, HaloJones said:

Good to hear the course was worth it; I am doing the flat shoe course in August :)

and nice job on the shoes 

It is totally worth it! You’ll have fun & meet people from around the world. I’m still in contact with my friends I met there. Enjoy the class! Thank you for the compliment! 

Nicely done! 

really, my congratulations.! Bravo!

the first few times are always a little scary,dont stay here,and comme on to another one.

On 6/6/2019 at 10:42 PM, Chief Filipino said:

Nicely done! 

Thank you! 

On 6/7/2019 at 2:22 AM, paloma said:

really, my congratulations.! Bravo!

the first few times are always a little scary,dont stay here,and comme on to another one.

Thank you my lasts are coming & when I make more I’ll post them. 

Its been a long time now since I've made any court shoes but I can remember the headaches of trying to get my centreline straight and not pull the inside (medial) or the outside (lateral) of the vamp too much one way or the other when I first started off. :head_hurts_kr: What I found helped on these is when I got a lasting jack and I glued down the bottom of it a couple of mirrors, they showed up if I was pulling too much one way or the other. The picture should help show what I mean. Another thing that helps is a fine tip set of lasting pliers that help a lot with the little pleating/pulling around the toe area. I cant seem to find mine at the moment but the tip measures about 1/4" wide or a little more. Warning ...do expect to rip the toe leather out a couple of times until you get the hang of how tight you can pull with them. I look forward to seeing more when you get your new lasts.:)

DSC05046_resize.JPG

DSC05051_resize.JPG